Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:56 AM   #1

so i'm new to doing prints with digital cameras, so what do you guys think of the quality of in-store 4x6 prints. i know they print at 3:2, and most cameras shot and 4:3, so there is some croping, no biggie. but lets say i'll be shooting with an Pentax Optio S5i (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004...s/optios5i.html) it's 5 megapixels, so the prints should be great quality right? and comapred to shooting with standard 35mm point and shoot camera? i know this must be a question you get all the time, but i'm new to all this. any help would be great! thanks in advance guys!
astralboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:28 AM   #2

Probably with a 4x6 print, anything over 3MP won't make much difference unless they have extremely accurate equipment and you want to look at with a powerful magnefing glass.

I always shoot at 6MP with my camera, and even when I printed at home with my Canon i560 at max resolution at the 8.5x11 size, I still believe the printer was the limiting factor for resolution. Though you can't see the ink dots without a magnefing glass.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

Astralboy

Idon't print at a store.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The print quality can be bad because stores don't replentish their chemicals often enough, or the machine hasn't been calibrated correctly.

You'll get better quality using a high quality photo paper on any decent quality ink-jet printer. I've used HP premium photo paper on a $100 HP printer and got some pretty stunning results. Plus, you can print, re-print, and adjust to really control the quality of your print.

As far as megapixels are concerned, a 5 megapixel camera should print a stunning 4x6 print. It would probably look as good as a point and shoot.

I use a 8 meg camera and I get pretty stunning 8x10 photos.

If you do have to print somewhere else, I would use an online site like snapfish.com or ophoto. Those sites will usually print your image with much bettter quality than an in-store photo department.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:56 PM   #4

I've just had a set of 200 6x4s done at my local Sainsburys supermarket (I'm in the UK, btw). They have a Fuji printing place there.

50 prints for £5. I was impressed with the quality, very nice indeed. However the staff didn't seem too clued up on aspect ratios and cropping so I cropped all the images to 6x4 ratio myself before taking them in. The prints are zoomed in a couple of mm on all sides (I expected as much) but the quality generally is lovely. Nobody is going to be abl e to print that cheaply from home.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:44 PM   #5

4X6 prints are fine for a 2MP camera - 3MP is good too but you dont really need it or anything higher. I print with snapfish most of the time - good quality and prices you can see other options and prices on http://www.printrates.com - I know some friends of mine use shutterfly - it's probably the same.
jgeorge0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:28 AM   #6

Rob G wrote:
Quote:
I've just had a set of 200 6x4s done at my local Sainsburys supermarket (I'm in the UK, btw). They have a Fuji printing place there.

50 prints for £5.
That's outstanding Rob !!!

The quality I get from my Epson R300 is much more than satisfactory, I'm very happy with them.

I'm not so keen on replacing the six cartridges at an average of £10.99 each though .

Is this a specialoffer at the moment ? Does it apply to all Sainsburys ? I'm in Coventry, so we have a few Sainsburys locally and I always shoot in a 3:2 ratio. So next time I have a fistful of printing to do I just might give them a try.

If you could let me know and thanks for the info.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:07 PM   #7

>> " Is this a specialoffer at the moment ? Does it apply to all Sainsburys ?"

Not sure, I imagine it's most - if not all - of the stores. Probably more to do with competition from Asda and Tesco than anything else.

50 7x5s were £7.99, again an excellent dea..
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:29 PM   #8

Thanks Rob.

I will give them a try.

Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:33 PM   #9

Actually Steve, they're currently offering 50 7x5" prints for £5 with one hour's service!
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:27 PM   #10

Thanks Rob. Logged in memory bank 8).

FYI, What Digital Camera gives Tesco 87% total marks with a 16/20 for print quality. It does get a What Digital Camera Choice award !! Unfortunately it goes on to say that Adobe RGB images don't fair too well. As I tend to shoot in Adobe RGB mode and edit the same way I think I'll hold back for now.

Asda, on the other hand achieved 89% with an 18/20 for print quality !!

You might want to give them a try to compare your results, same sort of costs.

Thanks again Rob.