Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:09 AM   #1

Hi I'm new to this forum, forgiveness ifthis issue hascome up before. I'm printing out BW 10x8"'s on Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper. I'm using Lyson CIS photochrome inks with a custom built profile from Atmos Design. The printer is around 15 months old. In the last month or so barely noticeable bands across the whole print have started appearing. The pattern is most noticeable in areas of dark ink density. They look like pressure marks from a roller, being spaced about 1.2 cmor one half inch apart. Looking at the machine there is very little roller contact.. could it be an uneven spray pattern? The usual cleaning and testing processes do not remove it. Has anybody experienced this and have they found a cure?
stangame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:06 AM   #2

I had the same problem. At the time, I was printing some pics for my kids' school project so used some Kodak paper I hadbought and was unhappy with. Anyway, the banding appeared and Ibecame worried. Switched back to some Epson paper and the banding disappeared immediately. I'm assuming the printer/paper combo was not a good one and that the ink was not drying quickly enough before goingpast the rollers. Try another paper and good luck!
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:57 AM   #3

Thanks, I would try another paper but I would have to buy another profile at £70.00 each! Also, the banding wasn't appearing on the same paper a month ago. Having said that, the drying issue may be a factor as the temperature in my attic office is currently reaching above 80f on sunny days. I will try again first thingone morning.

I contacted a UK supplier, Marrutt, who emailed back with a list of possible causes. One was un-ticking the high speed option in the print dialogue box. This reduced thestrength of visible banding but doubled the frequency to one every half centimetre. This is acceptable, I cannot imagine my clients noticing it. The next possibility I will need to address is not quite perfect head alignment ( the heads are customised Lyson cartridges.) I will keep you posted.

I notice your location shows up but mine doesn't, I'm in Newcastle England, pleased to meet you.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:13 AM   #4

Nice to meet you too Stangame. Hope you get it worked out. Let me know how it goes.
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:42 PM   #5

>> "I would try another paper but I would have to buy another profile at £70.00 each!"

Hell, where are you going for profiles?

I'm pretty new to colour management but that still seems excessively expensive to me.

I've just ordered a couple from colourprofiles.com who provide a profile for about £35 (buy three, get one free as well I think). They seem to have a good reputation.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6

Thanks for that Rob G, I will try them out sometime. In the meantime I have tried printing at cooler temperatures. At 21 degrees C banding is gone. There may be other parameters, so I'll post again if I notice anything else.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:21 PM   #7
cjm

Get Profile Prism from http://www.ddisoftware.com and make your own profiles as needed. It only takes a few minutes and you can try different papers and inks at will. I got it a month ago and my prints have never looked better. HTH, John
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:43 AM   #8

You can cure banding problems by running the print alignment, you may need to do it a few times to get it bang on. My 2100 now prints on any paper without banding. However I still get a Magenta cast regardless of what paper I use. Even if I use Epsons Recommended paper. But that's another post.

cheers

Mart.:sad:
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote