Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:56 AM   #1

I use my Epson R800 printer regularly enough that I don't want to continue buying the Epson brand inks - they are simply too expensive.

But I have seen warnings on some websites that unless you print regularly, as in weekly or more frequently, a CIS system will suffer problems through the ink being still within the tubing. Now I would probably print a batch on average every 2-3 weeks so should I start looking elsewhere for a thrid party system?

Compatible cartridges or - *gulp - stick with Epsons own brand?
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:45 PM   #2

I have use a CIS kit in my R800 just fine.Sometimes 2 weeks go by without printing and all is well.There is a software that will cause your printer to print a head check every day at a set time to keep your heads from clogging.That software came with the CIS kit used in my R200 printer though I dont use it.If you find the member print on a dime on ebay, he sells quality CIS kist and I am very happy with his service...
plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:45 PM   #3

I have use a CIS kit in my R800 just fine.Sometimes 2 weeks go by without printing and all is well.There is a software that will cause your printer to print a head check every day at a set time to keep your heads from clogging.That software came with the CIS kit used in my R200 printer though I dont use it.If you find the member print on a dime on ebay, he sells quality CIS kist and I am very happy with his service...
plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:59 PM   #4

i have got 2 r200s one with a CIS the other not, only due to the fact i havnt got one for it yet

i have no problems with it at all and have just filled it up for the first time as a few colours where low

it doesnt print from the pipes but the modified self resetting carts that come with it

everynow and then just print off a head test and if needed clean but no need to do more than that

its not such a big risk now they are down to £40 full of ink
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:35 AM   #5

Just wondering if those of you using the CIS are happy with the quality of the print and confident init's longevity. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks....Don
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:45 AM   #6

im more than happy with mine

and i only ever use the best paper, as via trial and error i think that paper quality is more important than ink.

i used kodak ultima picture paper of some decent epson...the cheap no brand stuff is exactly that ...cheap!!!

i have got prints that have been in frames or just hanging about that are still as vivid now as when printed

my way of looking at it is like this, a set of genuine epson cart here in the UK is about £30 to £35 for the 6, a CIS is £40 full of ink, they recon upto 15 sets of carts worth so its well worth it...even compered to the cheapness of the compatable carts.£6 to £8 a set

if u are indoubt about it stick with the genuine carts, if u want to use your printer more and get enjoyment from giving prints to family, making calendars etc get a CIS and print like there is no tomorrow

the only thing u gotta watch is the routing of the pipes....i did away with the fixing kit u get and just tapped em up with masking tape to make them hyper secure

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:13 PM   #7

Your concern isn't just a CIS problem. I have an Epson 4000, and if I don't print something every few days, I end up having to run a nasty, ink-eating cleaning cycle. When I had a CIS hooked up to an Epson 1280, I never had a problem with time-related clogging; only the very, very occasional clogs that seem to go with the inkjet printing territory.

And on the paper versus ink issue: the chemistry of the combination of paper and ink is really, really important. Some of the Epson papers will turn hideously orange after only a few days when printed with some HP printers; Arches Infinity had problems with some inksets from Canon and HP printers for awhile. The biggest risks come when using a third party paper with your printer's proprietary inks. I love and almost exclusively use Arches Infinity, but I also know that it was optimized and heavily tested with Epson inks. I also know for certain that Media Street inks were extensively tested on AI paper, and the Media Street papers were extensively tested with Epson inks.

I don't know much about Canon or HP ink/paper combos, but I do know that no matter what brand ink or paper you use, you really need to pay attention to compatibility if you want good color that lasts. Any "compatible with every ink" paper out there is a compromise... some compromises work better than others. The same goes with many of the aftermarket inks - unless you have data that shows it's been tested with your favorite papers, and has been shown to work well and last, you should be very cautious.

I guarantee any prints I sell for my lifespan, and since I intend to live a very long time... I'm very careful.
ednaz is offline   Reply With Quote