Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:59 PM   #1

Hi, i recentely purchased a Canon iP4000 and I'm generally happy with it but I am concerned over the print quality on some photos.

I have printed about 10 pictures on A4 glossy photograph paper (both on kodak and Epson photo paper) and about 30 pictures on 6x4 paper (both canon and kodak) and these have all came out fine. I touch them up in Photoshop CS2, resize if needed and then go to File>Print in Photoshop, select the correct paper and quality I want and hit Print.

These have came out fine but my friend has given me 3 pictures and 2 of them have came out pretty bad. There is a man in one of the photos and his hair and glasses are all blurry when I print them out on my printer. The strange thing is, the photo does not look blurry on his face when viewing it on my monitor.

I have stuck the photo onto a CD-R and viewed it on my TV and it looks great, I have also set it as my desktop wallpaper and this looks great too. Its when I print it on my Canon printer that the face is blurry. Even more strange is I got my friend to print the exact same picture on his Epson C20 on the same photo graphic paper and although the colour is bad on the print out, the mans face looks fine.

Why does this picture look blurry on my printer but not on my friends? It looks lovely on the TV and on the monitor.

I have cleaned the print heads, done deep cleaning and printed a nozzle check pattern, all looks fine. I am using the Canon printer drivers that came with the CD but I am not using the Canon Easy Photo Print software which I have installed... Im using the default printing window that you see when you go to File>Print. Could this be why its printing bad?

Like I said, I print photos all the time, and these are the only photos that look blurry.

I have uploaded the picture onto my webspace http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephanie.mirza/Man.jpg , the file I am using to print with is a PSD but I have saved this as a JPEG quality 12(highest quality) to show you.

Thanks for any help
deadman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:05 PM   #2

I pressed send to post this topic and it just sat there loading, so I pressed it again and now 2 have came out, can someone delete one of the threads please?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:39 PM   #3

File>Print works fine for me with my iP4000 from both Photoshop and Irfanview. Better than Easy Photo Print even if I don't let it try to enhance anything.

Did you do any tweaking in Photoshop? Did he give you the full sized photo to work with? There could be a compression problem if he compressed it too much. That wouldn't apply to him if he printed from the original. If what you are trying to print is showing 100% at your link I don't think there is enough there to work with. 720 X 576 isn't going to give a very good print.

If your shots are printing fine I would guess you are trying to print a poor image.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:52 PM   #4

Let me explain how I got the picture and what I have done with it.

1) Took a capture of the man from a DVD with PowerDVD and pasted into Photoshop CS2.

2) Image looked huge in Photoshop CS but the resolution according to Photoshop was only 2.5 (on my friends PC). It is obvious that Photoshop read it wrong so I took a print screen of the image and pasted into Photoshop. The resolution now is 72.

3) Spent 30 minutes editing the picture, fixing colour, taking out all the rubbish in his shirt, sharpened the picture, cropped the sides and added more sky to make it 10x8 inches in size.

4) Saved the picture as a PSD, and printed. I selected Canon Photo Plus Glossy paper from the menu (even though the paper was Epson Photo Gloss) and set the quality to highest. The I printed.

I should of said this at the start but I haven't actually seen the picture that my friend printed with his C20 but he tells me that the picture isnt blurry on his face and I take his word on that. I will be viewing the picture tomorrow but according to him, the blur on his face is gone.

I guess you're right about the image being to small to get a good quality print out. I might re-capture the picture again but this time, keep the high resolution that PowerDVD captured instead of print screening and using the picture as 72 resolution.

You're probably thinking why did I not use the high resolution picture? Because Photoshop has completely messed the sizes up. According to Photoshop, the image was 3000 inches by 5000 inches (or something like that) which couldnt be right.

If the picture that my friend printed looks more sharp than mine, then I know something is wrong with my printer. If the picture on my friends printer looks as bad as mine, then I know its down to a poor picture.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:53 PM   #5

My friends print out is just as bad as mine, the reason he thought it looked better was because the picture was so much lighter on his printer and you cant notice the blurryness as much.

Thanks for the help, I know its down to a poor quality picture.