Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:12 AM   #1

I have got to put some shots on a CD to be sent to a magazine for publication, they have asked for image resolution set to 300dpi, now, working in photoshop i have put 300dpi in the resolution box (in resize section )and when its finished its huge!! is this right or am i doing something major wrong? im totally confused on this resolution, dpi etc so could someone put me straight on this.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:01 AM   #2

Many digital cameras show in Photoshop or other image editors at 72PP. This PPI is meaningless as far as you image is concerned. But it generates an enormous document size. I just opened a 7Mp image in Photoshop and it defaults to 72PPI which gives a 42.667 X 32 inch print. That document size only applies to 72PPI. But if you increase the PPI to 300 and don't change the document size you end up with a 351.6 Mb image.

Open your original image in Photoshop. Choose the crop tool. Put the dimensions in the width and height that you want displayed in the magazine and 300 PPI in the options box at the top. Photoshop will constrain the crop to the proportions you have chosen. When you right click and select "Crop" after your cropping you will end up with an image at 300 PPI and the right dimensions. It will also be reasonable in size – or as reasonable as you are going to get with their requirements.

If you want to do it in the Image>Image Size box, be sure to change the document size dimensions and keep "Constrain Proportions" checked.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:15 PM   #3

Many thanks, has made things alot clearer and i am now going to put it into practice. Regards.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote