Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Dec 23, 2005, 5:06 AM   #1

Here's the problem: I've been trying (unsuccessfully) for the best part of a year to get my home Camera/PC/Printer to produce images that will match so that real-world, monitor and printed image all have the same colour (I'd settle for nearly the same colour!).
I've read and re-read stuff on colour-management, but I still don't get it - I'm obviously missing something. My partner is using a Minolta A200 to take the photographs. I have a cheap and cheerful Relisys CRT to display them through Photoshop CS2. The printer is an Epson R800 loaded with Epson inks and a variety of papers.
Some specific questions:
Can anyone recommend a simple guide I can access through the Internet?
The camera can be set to use Adobe RGB as the colour profile. Is this a good idea?
Photoshop can also be set to use Adobe RGB. Should I use this profile?
I am assuming that a Printer profile for one paper might produce an image not hugely different from the profile for another paper. is that right? I'm not looking for total precision, here... I'm using (I think) a standard Epson Profile - EEZ77_1.
I don't have access to a colorometer for the monitor. I'm also not convinced that I will be able to get things to match without getting a better monitor. Does that sound right? I've only ever managed to make things worse when I've played with Adobe Gamma...
It might be good (one day) to get some of the larger images professionally printed at a larger size. What do I need to consider to do this?
I really am stuck. Please, please help me...
shambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2005, 3:16 PM   #2

shambles:

I have been fighting the same battle for many years to my disappointment. Never really got the prints to match the monitor. Did all kinds of monitor adjusting methods. But to no avail.

Just received a Canon iP5000 that prints very nice pictures but they stilldid not match the monitor.

While thinking this dilemma over for some timeI decided to change things around. Why not have the monitor match the prints as it is much easier to change monitor settings than change printer profiles.

So I received a Kodak Evaluation Target from http:/www.bullockdigital.com/adjustmonitor.htm Didn't use it this time and did not try to do their monitor adjust thing again. Really did not work right for me.

My solution wasto print the Target from theimage on their site. Then used nvidia, the program for my video card,to adjust the monitor to match the printed target. I know it is backward to conventional wisdom BUT it does work.

I never have had the prints so closely match the monitor before. Now I get true WYSIWYG.

The best part it is completely free.

I have been adjusting the White Balance of my FZ30 and now can print the color cast, or lack of it, that shows up on the monitor.

Try it-you might like it.

Stan

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:38 AM   #3

Hi, Stnkline...

This sounds like a reasonable solution to a miserable problem - I'll give it a go. This might at least allow me to print half-sensibly from home. Tell me though, do you still use a variety of printer profile to match your different papers? Or do you just use the same paper all the time to ensure a match? Or something different again?

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to print one of your images from their printer? I assume the colours would be completely wrong on their monitor...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:39 AM   #4

shambles wrote:

Hi, Stnkline...
This sounds like a reasonable solution to a miserable problem - I'll give it a go. This might at least allow me to print half-sensibly from home. Tell me though, do you still use a variety of printer profile to match your different papers? Or do you just use the same paper all the time to ensure a match? Or something different again?

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to print one of your images from their printer? I assume the colours would be completely wrong on their monitor... END

I have been only using Staples Photo Supreme with the iP5000 which I received a week ago. Simplifies my operation. I plan to look for more inexpensive paper and then may run into the paper profile issue. I plan to stick with Staples paper as they have sales and now give 140 for the price of 100 sheets for 4x6's.

I will have to look at the default profile that the iP5000 came with. I have not changed it. IfI printed an image with a different profile I assume I would get a different coloured print. Right now I am satisfied to get WYSIWYG with the settings I have now. I have printing for many years and neverhad such a good match to the monitor. I do have Lexmark and a Epson printers but like the 5000 much better. Prints borderless easily with Cannon's easy-print program. It takes any sized image and resizes it to 4x6 for printing. I want to compare the Easy Print and PS Elements2 print output to check which image algorithm may be better.

BTW I'm using an old DiGiviev monitor that I bought used at a computer show many years ago. Do plan to get an 19" LCD when the price comes down a little more. Want one that swivels to display landscape or portrait mode.

Stan

Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:15 AM   #5

Below is the Target I have been using and the URL to bullock pro's image of the target. Since I adjusted my monitor to match the Target printed on my printer, WYSIWYG.

http://www.bullockpro.com/images/Kod..._V1_0_SRGB.jpg

Download Target, print it out, then adjust monitor to match printed Target.

Doing just that: What You See Is What You Get.

Stan

Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:54 AM   #6

That's better - I couldn't get the previous link to link... Thanks!

I also found some targets at:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...alibration.htm

which might also be of use to someone...

I'm going to have a bit of a play, but it might take a while. I need to get my head around how this will affect the (inaccurate) process I currently use, which I found on computer-darkroom.com using proof setup in photoshop. Why does this stuff have to be so complicated...?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:53 PM   #7

I tried the link above and it worked.

http:/www.bullockdigital.com/adjustmonitor.htm

Print out the target from this site. It is at the bottom of the page.

They will send you the target if asked,

Stan
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:52 AM   #8

Hi, Stan...

I still can't get this link (http:/www.bullockdigital.com/adjustmonitor.htm) to link - but never mind. Using the other Kodak target you posted, and another one I found, I think I have what I need.

I have already made some adjustments on the monitor hardware buttons and things are looking a great deal better. I guess I could do some more adjustments through Adobe gamma, so I'll have a look there, too.

Thanks for your advice. I'm feeling more confident about getting things to match up now...
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:12 AM   #9

I am glad I was of some help. The concept of making the monitor match the print instead of trying to match the print to the monitor is foreign to many people. Was to me for many years.

Stan

shambles wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Stan...

I still can't get this link (http:/www.bullockdigital.com/adjustmonitor.htm) to link - but never mind. Using the other Kodak target you posted, and another one I found, I think I have what I need.

I have already made some adjustments on the monitor hardware buttons and things are looking a great deal better. I guess I could do some more adjustments through Adobe gamma, so I'll have a look there, too.

Thanks for your advice. I'm feeling more confident about getting things to match up now...
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:32 AM   #10

I just ran through similar process, but was able to tweak a color profile to match the prints I had done at a print lab, I then am able to proof the colors in photoshop and apply any last min edits using the proof color to see what I will get.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote