Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:33 AM   #1

I am currently stationed in Germany and have been wanting to get an All In One machine that prints on CD's. Luckily, since I am in Germany I am able to get the Canon MP780 which prints on CD's but I was curious if anyone has tried the 780 for photos. I currently havea Canon i860 which I think does a fantastic job for printing photos and wantd to know how the 780 does compared to the i860 ( or something similar)

Thank,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2

To headhunter66,

Sorry for not posting an answer earlier but I don't usually look in this forum area.

But the MP780 is based on the Canon pixma ip4000 printing engine---which in turn is basically a slightly modernised i860----uses exactly the same ink set----one large text black cartridges and four BCI-6 dye based cartridges---the BCI-6's in cyan, yellow, magenta, and photoblack.

And the MP780 seems to be the last of Canon's non chipped multifuntionals and somewhat the flagship--there are later generation ones but they have chipped carrtridges---which I sure see as a disadvatage.

For what its worth, I have a MP730---which is somewhat a one generation back MP780 but the MP 730 lacks a photoblack cartridge--and is based on the i850 printer engine----but I really like the MP730. And if I have to photoprint it does alright----------But I get slightly better results on my wife's ip4000.

For what is also worth, Fry electronics has the MP780 on sale this week for $150 after rebates---as the last of these non-chipped Canosn flush out retail outlets-----If I had the spare bucks I would buy one just to put on the shelf when and if my MP730 wears out.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote