Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old May 5, 2006, 5:32 AM   #1

HEy all

I am printing some shots at 6*4 at full res and they are coming out super sharp which is not really what i want

do other ppl reduce the res before printing??

do ppl run image through blurring software to soften the image?

thanks in advance

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 9:41 PM   #2

You don't want sharp pictures? This is a new one. Most people in these forums want to know what to do to get sharp pictures!

If you sharpen in post processing, cut down or eliminate it. If your results are still too sharp, select a lower in-camera sharpening setting or eliminate it altogether.

If you are after a sort of soft-focus effect, the editing software you have should provide a variety of blurring filters.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 11:22 PM   #3

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
You don't want sharp pictures? This is a new one. Most people in these forums want to know what to do to get sharp pictures!

If you sharpen in post processing, cut down or eliminate it. If your results are still too sharp, select a lower in-camera sharpening setting or eliminate it altogether.

If you are after a sort of soft-focus effect, the editing software you have should provide a variety of blurring filters.

Grant

Hmm ok thts wat i thought. was just interrested to see if ppl print 8mp straight to 6x4.

thanks for reply

Old May 6, 2006, 5:18 PM   #4

Part of it may be the printer's software interpolation routines, or the settings you use. Some printers have a selection box for digital cameras, which may oversharpen edges. Also if you are printing straight from camera JPEG files, Print Image Matching may come in to play.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 5:09 AM   #5

i was talking to the dude at camera shop today, he advised me to recrop images at 6x4 at 300 dpi and images should come out mint.

i did this and images are perfect

Old Aug 3, 2006, 2:21 PM   #6

I don't downsize and have never had a problem with images being too sharp unless I oversharpen them in PP. One thing to be careful of when you downsize is that your image is now sharper per-pixel than your original so if you do any sharpening yourself it won't require as much. It is easy to over-sharpen a downsized image and get this unwanted 'halo' effect.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:29 PM   #7

cheers for that mate

i found puttting the sharpness setting on low on the cam sorted the problem. Of default the images we pin point sharp which looked silly for portrait stuff

cheers

ken