Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old May 18, 2006, 7:42 PM   #1

Just in case anyone out there is deciding to go with an Epson R300 I would suggest think again. If only I had read the reports on this site I would have saved myself a lot of frustration. They are accidents waiting to happen pre-programmed for failure.

I have only used acouple of sets of cartridges and now cannot use the machine at all as I keep getting general error or fictitious paper jam messages !

I still have the advertising blurb on the front cover extolling " cost saving individual cartridges" ,That would be funny if it was not so annoying . $70.00 for a set !!

Not a lot of assistance from Epson,who want your credit card number and $ 10.00 before offering any help.

No help from the retailer who suggests talking to Epson . Ha Ha .

I think it will be photo-shop and Costco from now on ,or maybe you Canon guys have had a better experience ??

That feels better:-):-)
woodcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 8:36 PM   #2

Why would you buy the R300 when you could buy the R200 or R220 for half its price same print engine. I bought 4 R200 Xmas 2004 for $60.00 can (cheaper than buying new cartirdges) had problems with paper feed on one 15 days before warranty expired contacted Epson and they sent me out a new one isn't the warranty still valid if not you should be able to pick up a new R220 for $99 can and use the ink from your 300 in it.
kelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 9:54 PM   #3

Hi Kelty ,Thanks for the reply , that sounds like a plan. I did not realise the engines are the same . It was my first Photo quality printer and believed the blurbs :sad:

I will have look around for the 220 ( when the 300 worked the prints were great !)

Do you use generic cartridges ?
Old May 19, 2006, 11:01 AM   #4

i have 2 r200s on continous ink systems and they are brilliant, nver missed a beat, epsons ink is way to expensive to even think of buying,i have never ever bought a genuine ink cart and prob never will

the built in fail i believe is for when waste ink tank is full, so it doesnt run onto your table top and mess things up with ink, the fail is fixable with ssc service util and thats free, search online.

and as mentioned yest the r200-300 family are the same except u pay more for the card reading facility on the r300, which id never use anyway

Gary

ps maybe ur printer was on of the duff ones that managed to escape
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:25 AM   #5

Woodcarver: I have used generic cartridges and get them at http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=175 1 set for $39.95. They also handle genuine Epson at $84.95, but I think that if you are going to do a lot of printing "reanimator" has the way to go. Also agree with him that the card reader function in a printer not something I would want as I rarely print anything straight from the camera I at least do a levels adjustment and now I shoot mainly in raw so do even more adjustments.

As an aside when i did my calandars I used double sided matte had bought several pkgs of Epson brand and was looking for the old epson 720 dpi paper( for test printing) but no longer available so I bought Staples double sided matte at under 1/2 the price and when I got it home compared it to the Epson. Noted thaqt the Staples was whiter and heavier printed out some sheets and returned all my unopened boxes of Epson in exchange for Staples brand. Only mention this as I usually only use Epson paper but in this instance changed.

Hope this helps
Old May 19, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6

HI Reanimator, Your system definitely sounds the way to go. I never used the card slot on the R300 either.

I tried the ssc service but it does not work for me still keep getting "general error" display. Uninstalled and re-installed drivers and managed to print test page but then trying to print a jobI get "paper jam error " and then back to "general error"

As you say maybe I got a lemon:sad::sad:

kelty.Thanks for the inputand link .That is a good tip about the Staples paper.

....................Dave
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:05 AM   #7

Having just joined the site which I came accross when I was looking for printer reviews. I was very interested in your comments Woodcarver and to the replies.I have had a dreadful experience witk Epson having bought a 2100 A3 printer cisting £500 some 3 years ago, when I bought my first computer.As I had to learn how to use my computer, Iam in my 60s it was little used in the first 12 months and since then as only printed approx 100 prints and the occassional letter etc.It went wrong some 6 weeks ago and Epsons back up service and customer relations is appalling.I initially was advised to take it to an Epson centre who could not deal with it and then was told to send it to Eqinox, there contractors for repair who have been efficient.

The cost to send and have an initial inspection comes to just under £100.Now they want £316 in addition to repair as the curculatory board has failed .The only explanation I have received is that the two new cartridges could have been faulty but it has only had Epson cartridges. Epson head office just dont want to know.

I am now in the market and a bit reluctant to purchase Epson. As I have canon digital 10 D camera I am leaning towards Canon.Anyone with ideas and comments as to which would photographic printer to buy would be welcome.

As I never printed an A3 previously I shall go for an A4
kent blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:18 PM   #8

Hey Kent,, Just got back from pickingb up my printer ,found a place locally that would at least look at it without charging a big fee up front. He tells me that the " print station " is shot and it is not worth repairing :sad::sad:He suggests thatCanon was far more trouble free and not loaded with traps for the unwary .............

Now I cant lose anymore I may try being more ambitious in taking the beast apart and attempting a self fix ,though I dont hold out much hope:shock:

I just cant believe Epson's policy and lack of customer support. Surely happy customers ,continually working machines and reasonably priced ink = more profits :?

Dave
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:46 PM   #9

So Dave what printer did you get and where did you get it? Don't keep us in suspense.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:12 PM   #10

Hi Kelty, Did not realise it looked as though I have a new printer ,from my previous post :OIhad just taken the R300 into a local repair shop to see if they could ressurect it ,as they did not charge for just diagnosing . So to date I have not picked up a new one :idea:

Dave