Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:00 PM   #1

I posted this in another forum, and got no response. Let's try here.
I assumed that a printer profile was specific to a printer/ink/paper combination, and did not depend on the software used to print. My recent experience suggests otherwise.
I use Paint Shop Pro X as my photo editor and usually use it to print photographs on my Canon Pixma iP5000, using Canon ink and Kirkland paper. I recently bought Qimage, based on recommendations in various forums, and have been using it for printing. This is what I have found.
If I use the same printer profile e.g. Canon PR1, to print the same test print on the same paper with the same ink, the results are different using PSP X and Qimage. The PSP X print is much yellower - skin tones are quite yellow and reds come out as orange. The Qimage print is much better and very close to my Samsung monitor.
Before anyone asks, I am not double profiling - ICM is turned OFF in the printer driver settings in both cases, and all colour settings are at zero. The settings in the printer driver are identical for both prints. Also the colour management settings in each program are correct; the same printer profile is chosen in each.
My monitor has not been "professionally" calibrated, but it has been set up to show what I consider to be natural skin tones, and colours that are true (reds are reds, greens are green etc.). I have used some free calibration tools to do this. The monitor is not the problem anyway - I get different looking prints using the same printer profile with different software.
I have read most of the Tech Corner articles about colour management and printer profiles and have checked, double checked, and even triple checked the various settings under colour management in both programs. I believe that they are set up correctly.
Has anyone else tried to do what I have done - same profile/printer/ink/paper/test print with different software? What have you found? Maybe my initial assumption is incorrect, but if it is that makes printer profiles extremely limited.
:??
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:29 AM   #2

Paint Shop Pro is not fully ICC aware like Qimage, so Paint Shop Pro may not be reading the color space of your images properly. Of course, if you have Qimage, why print from Paint Shop anyway? :-)

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:34 PM   #3

I suppose the simple answer is that it is convenient to print with the same program used for photo editing. I will try to change my habits and use Qimage more!
PSP X allows me to choose the printer profile I want to use, so what does it mean when you say "it is not fully ICC aware"? Maybe the answer is too technical for me to understand! I am fairly computer proficient, but I don't always follow all of the technical details of things like colour management.
Thanks for your reply.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:35 AM   #4

PSP doesn't always (properly) recognize the color space of the image itself, so you could have images shot in Adobe RGB color space for example, and PSP might incorrectly assume they are in sRGB color space. That would give you the symptoms you describe.

Mike
Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:45 PM   #5

I response, all I can say is that my Nikon D50 is set to use sRGB. You may very well be correct about PSP - I would have no way of knowing that, but I still find it surprising that profiles are "interpreted" differently by different programs. Should I expect that I would get a different result with every program that can print photos if I use the same printer profile?
I don't want to prolong a discussion where I am obviously out of my depth, so thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:08 AM   #6

PhotoShop and Qimage are basically the only programs out there that are fully ICC aware in that they can decode (figure out) the proper color space no matter how that color space is embedded in the image. There are various ways to embed profiles (or profile tags) in images, and not all software understands all incarnations of profile embedding. Some only understand profile embedding and not EXIF tagging. Some understand sRGB EXIF tagging but can't decipher when a camera is set to Adobe RGB, etc. That's why I said Paint Shop Pro is not "fully ICC aware": it just isn't smart enough to decode the intended color space of the image 100% of the time.

Mike