Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:48 PM   #1

I have an Epson 9800 and I'm trying to print out 2 20x28" images. I'm choosing a page size of 44x29.5" in the Epson driver so that the thing prints 2-up side by side.

I also select Print Preview in the driver.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So, Qimage showsthe layout and itlooks okay,but when I go to print, it won'tperform a print preview likeitdoes when I print directly in Photoshop.Actually, it did do it once, but Icouldn't duplicate it.But,I really need this print preview becausewhen I was able to seePrint Previewthat one time, it showed thatonlyONE of theimages printed properly while thesecond oneshowed only a partial non-contiguous image.

I don't know if I will need to turn OFF "Advance Printing Features" or not. Sometimes this feature causes problems and cuts off pictures.

Please help.

Thanks.
mike macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:33 AM   #2

It probably would have created the print preview if you waited long enough. I've printed prints in excess of 12 feet long on the 9600 and it can take 5 minutes or more for the print preview to show. If it doesn't show, the driver may have "choked" on the data. PhotoShop simply dumps the image to the driver without resampling it, so it will send less data to the driver compared to Qimage. See my article on this subject here at Steve's:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...uary_2006.html

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3

Thanks.

I never use theinterpolation. I make sure that every image is already at 360dpi--the native resolution of the printer. So, it being very slow must be for some other reason.

And,what about the problem of an incomplete 2nd image?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:57 PM   #4

What are you using to resample to 360 PPI? Why not let Qimage do that? That's what it is for.

As to the incomplete 2nd image, it is covered in the article under "Spooling options". It is also covered in more detail in another article:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...pril_2006.html

TO be brief, in Qimage, go to "Edit", "Preferences", "Print Options" and change the spool type at the bottom to "raw" if you have problems with partial prints.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:48 AM   #5

Thanks, the RAW spooling setting in Qimage seemed to work and it also did the Print Preview very fast.

Regarding why I don't use the interpolation in Qimage is becauseI sharpen theimage AFTER interpolation using a plug-in called FocalBlade--a really powerful program that offers lots of flexibility and superior results. (For instance, you can sharpen the edges and the surfaces separately. And, you canreduce both black and white halos, and lots more good features. Plus, you can have it make suggestions for you and then you can tweak it from that point on if you want.)

Ultimately,from what I understand, resizing a picture after sharpening isn't as good.

I'd like to request an article about how to print an image that is REALLY BIG. I'm talking about one so big that Qimage has to be set up to control the data so that the spool file does not exceed 4GB at any one time since that's the maximum spool size in Windows (at least it is for Win2K). I guess they call that "tiling."

Thanks so much for the great software!

Mike