Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:09 PM   #1

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new MacPro 2.66Ghz and am wondering if Qimage will

work OK with XP ProfessionalSP2 installed.

Thanks.
rob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:18 PM   #2

We've gotten several reports that Qimage runs flawlessly on the new iMac's with Intel Core Duo processors running parallels. It has not been fully tested at this point, but initial reports look very good.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:57 PM   #3

I have Xp running on my mac book via parallels. The main reason I forked out for parallels and XP was so that I could run Qimage from my mac. Qimage loads fine and does work perfectly. Unfortunatly though Parallels seems to have problems communicating with some USB devices which makes printing from Qimage impossible on my Epson 2400.

Anyone here had any success printing with Qimage with parallels on an intel mac via USB?

As far as I am aware Bonjour only allows printing using a generic driver. I want to be able to use the Epson driver with the colour management options etc.

baldeegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:55 AM   #4

I am a recent convert to Qimage and it is awesome. For the best performance I have found I print through the Common UNIX Printing System. Basically you are creating a networked printer INSIDE of your Mac. The best part is that everything you need comes already inside your Mac. Here is a simple step by step. The one problem I have incurred is with the Mac having a Dynamic IP address. This can be remedied through most Routers. For your Mac Book you might have to change your IP address to manual when you are at home and want to print. Anyways here is the order of what you need to do.

The following is for directly attached USB printers...
Sharing the printer through Parallels USB is not so good. This method sets up a shared printer on the mac that allows raw pass through of data. This means you can then print using Qimage and the Windows driver.

1. You go through the process of correctly installing the printer on the mac with the normal drivers.

2. you need a line of information is in System Profile under the Printer section URI field. This bit you will cut and paste from YOUR System Profile to put into step 3.... It should look something like this below... Remember you copy the line from your system profiler not from this page!

usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Pro%207800?serial=NE048060509133533-

3. Now start up the Safari web browser and enter http://127.0.0.1:631 to get to the CUPS page. You will have to enter your short username and password.

CUPS is the print engine for OS X

Click on "Printers" at the top, and then on "Add Printer" at the bottom

4. Name/Location/Description lines are entered as whatever you want them to be. The Name field you will have input later in windows so choose something that makes sense. For me it was "3800network". I would leave location/description blank. Click "Continue"

5. Set the Device to "USB printer". Click "Continue"

6. You got your line of code from the System Profiler handy. It is time to cut and paste the "usb://..." information right here... right now! Click "Continue"

7. Set Make to "Raw"

8. Set Model to the only available option of "Raw queue". Click "Continue"

Confirmation! (hopefully... if not go back and try again)

The printer is setup.

9. Go to System Preferences/Print and Fax. Click tab for "Printer sharing". Make sure that your new printer definition is shared.

Now on to the PC on Parallels.

First things first. Make sure that you have the printer driver completely setup in windows. Thats right, you have to have BOTH the host and virtual OS with the full driver!

1. Control Panel/Printers and Faxes. Add a new network printer. You can't browse to it, you will have to tell windows where it is. You need to know the IP address of your Mac.

Here is the address:

http://mac_ip_address:631/printers/p...me_from_step_4

2. Select the right driver from the list. Windows will not be able to detect the correct printer driver. Finish the setup and VIOLA!

You are done.

Windows becomes your printing environment. Performance has been very good for me. I found I had trouble with my Mac changing IP addresses. Got that sorted. The only other problem I had was trying to open Qimage immediately after XP popped up in Parallels. Since the printer is through a network and it had not quite linked up yet it would crash Qimage. I suggest you wait at least ten or fifteen seconds. You can also go into Windows printer menu and watch for the printer to come online.

Hope that helps. This information is my own version of this CUPS setup. It is availabe on a few other forums in other varients.

Patrick.
subortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:22 AM   #5

Many thanks Patrick for your detailed response. Sounds complicated but will give it a try. Hopefully Parallels gets this sorted as I'm sure there are plenty or mac users itching to get Qimage running on their machines without having to resort to complicated workarounds.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:45 PM   #6

For those interested, I have had much better success with the Parallels Beta 3150 printing through Qimage with USB connected epson R2400.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:11 PM   #7

That is good news. I am running build 1970 and supposedly the new beta has high speed USB 2.0 functionality. Not only does it support 2.0 but it also is supposed to really work! Unlike the current build that has spotty USB functionality at best. Thanks for the info Baldeegle!

Patrick
subortem is offline   Reply With Quote