Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:09 AM   #1

Hi,there,

I have been very happy with the results I got frommyEpson R800 printer using Qimage until now, when I heard that some new printers can print 16 bit files. I know Qimage is good enough to receive 16 bit files, but it would change them into 8 bit files when sending them to printers.

Since some printers can print 16 bit file now, I guess if I upgrade my printer to say Epson 3800 or Canon iPF5000, Qimage will sendthem16bit files straight away.Could anyone confirm this, please? And is there a real benefit printing 16 bit files?

Any answer will be appreciated.

Cheers,

James

JamesQu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:15 AM   #2

I'm not sure I understand when you say you've been happy until now when you found out that there are a couple of printers that can print 16 bits/channel. Did this knowledge somehow make your R800 prints instantly look worse? :-) All Windows print drivers are 8 bits/channel. The couple of printers that currently offer 16 bits/channel have to use specialized software/plugins to do so and I really doubt you'll see a difference between a good 8 bit/channel printer and the 16 bit/channel printing. The few people who have reviewed the 16 bit/channel printers so far report things like "more vibrant colors" which isn't a function of the number of bits/channel and that tells me that there are just subtle differences between the 8 bit and 16 bit drivers that cause them to be "different". Printers have pretty limited color gamuts so if you use a reasonable color space and have good profiles, I see no need for more than 16.7 million colors for anything but the most specialized printing tasks. Certainly, you will see very little difference when printing "normal" photographs.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:27 AM   #3

Thank you, Mike.

I am still happy with the results I got from R800, and of course with your Qimage!

As for a reasonable color space, I used to use aRGB, now I am trying ProPhotoRGB. Haven't been able to decide if I can get more color in my prints.

Thanks again.

James
JamesQu is offline   Reply With Quote