Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:39 PM   #1

After my last post (greyscale image read errors) I thought I was good to go. Qimage is reading my properly formatted 16 bit greyscale tiffs, they just are not printing anything like their origional RGB. Here is what I did to the files. Please let me know where I can fix the problem. I really do love the speed and size of the greyscale images as compared to rgb.

Opened origional RGB file with layers, adjustments etc.

Flattened image and converted from ProPhoto color space to greyscale.

Saved image as Tiff with LZW compresson on, no alpha channels and no layers.

Compared photos in PS and Bridge, they look identical.

Printed both image (5x7) on a sheet of my favorite paper (Moab Entrada BW). The RGB looks just like the screen image, the greyscale looks less luminous. It lost contrast and is darker. Please help, any ideas how to make the greyscale files print like they are on screen would be great.

Thanks for your time,

Patrick

subortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:48 AM   #2

Try bringing them both up on screen at the same time in Qimage by adding them both to the queue and then using the comparator to view them side by side. See if they look the same on screen. If not, there may be an issue with the profile that is being embedded in the grayscale image.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

I have tried both Gray Gamma 1.8 and Dot Grain 20% profiles to for output, but they appear dark compared to the Pro Photo RGB. With my original files converted to 8 bit greyscales with either of the two previously listed greyscale profiles the images looks identical (or nearly) in Bridge. In Qimage however the greyscale always comes out darker. I like to keep the original files as untouched as possible to allow for editing headroom down the road, but would like to keep print ready images in a more managable size. Please let me know if there is anything else I can try.

Thanks.

Patrick

Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:08 PM   #4

I kept digging and found the anwer (or at least a work around). The greyscale profile was set up with BPC and perceptual rendering. Changing it to absolute colorimetric fixed the conversion issue. Qimage and Bridge now preview the images the same! YEAH! Can you please let me know if this was an apporiate fix. I was a traditional darkroom guy all my life and just recently made the switch to digital. I do not want to be sacrifing quality if these setting are not correct. Thanks.

Patrick