Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:03 AM   #1

Hi, I'm a new member and am grateful to have found a forum where I can ask Qimage questions. I have owned Qimage Pro for a few months and am generally very happy as it is 100 times better that the Epson Print interface in PhotoShop. But there ia one setting that is always required that I don't understand. That of Original Size.
I tend to size my images in PhotoShop and therefore would assume that when I open one in Qimage it would default to that size, but it doesn't. So I hit Original Size which to my mind would size what was say a 10" x 8" image in PS as 10x8 in Qimage. But the Original Size setting doesn't do this.
My only solution is having to go to Custom and then pick Specific Size and enter the exact width and height of my image and the size therefore that I want my print. Only then does it size to the right dimensions.
This is really tedious as often I have forgotten what the exact print size is by the time I come to do lots of printing in Qimage.
How can I simply open the file as it's PS size and print it without the extra hassle. Does the resolution I save in in PS make a difference. I do not always change the resolution and find that Qimage prints well whatever it is anyway and like this feature of Q.
Some help would be greatly appreciated.
Jules

Julessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:23 PM   #2

My first suggestion is not to size anything in PhotoShop as doing so is going at things a bit backwards. With photographs, size is always relative unless you plan to try to replicate the photo at life size. The output size of an image should be decided at print time as images should not have any size until then unless you are working with scans that have to be replicated at "life size". With photos (as opposed to scans), you should not be dealing with size until the final step (in Qimage, not PhotoShop). I'm a little confused as to why you'd need to remember what size you made the photo in PhotoShop at print time. It seems a bit odd to place a size restriction on an image while editing it since most people print based on the size they need rather than restricting the image to a certain size while editing it, but maybe that's what you are doing? In any case, the original size option will work, but you have to save the photo in either JPEG or TIFF format and when you use original size, make sure the "override" box is not checked on the original size dialog. That's it: then Qimage will use whatever size is embedded in the image.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:02 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Mike. Let me explain my workflow. We run a professional studio and my wife shoots and our printing is done either by our professional printer who is off site, or by me at the studio, or both. So she shoots and then does the viewings with the clients. They may well order the same shot but as a 10x8 and a 16x12, different formats.

She then sends me the original and crops. I retouch the original and replace her crops with retouched crops just bydragging the cropped version over the cropped one in PS and flattening. With me so far? From there we upload these cropped images to our printer or/and to me to print.

You understand that the photographer, my wife, here has control over the crops and we the printers print what she and the client has chosen (some crops are done in the viewing with the client, some later).

Hence I hope you understand that cropping in our case is not done at the time of printing and it is important that it the printer knows exactly what size to print at without any extra dialogue with the photographer. The files already being sized does this job.

But I will take your advice and try it. Perhaps using tif file format is the answer as you suggest. All I want Qimage to do is to print, although I'm sure the cropping facilities are good, I do not need them.
Jules

Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:45 AM   #4

Mike, what you say makes sense and Ok so far. But. one of the sizes we print is image size 8" x 11.5

This very nicely fits on an A4. but can I print it on an A4 sheet in Qimage? No. It always cuts of the bottom 1/2" or so but leaves a margin at the bottom where it could quite happily have been printed.

It also quite happily shows the image on the A4 in the preview without cutting the bottom off. Why does it show something different from what is printed. Surely wygiwys is the aim isn't it.

I have tried to change the bottom margin in Full Page Editor but the thing is stuck on 0.56 and wont allow me to say change it to less (zero would be nice).

How can i print an8x11.5" on an A4?
Jules

Old Jun 24, 2007, 4:06 AM   #5

Ok. I have scored the Qimage notes and have read this...
So you've fed a sheet of 8.5 x 11 photo paper into your printer only to discover that the printer can only use an 8.0 x 10.7 inch area on that paper, leaving uneven borders around the edge that the printer sees as inaccessible. The reason that your printer cannot print in these edge/border areas is due to physical limitations of the printer itself. The print head must have enough time to accelerate for example and get up to a constant speed before spraying ink and must decelerate at the opposite side of the page, creating the left/right borders.
I get that ok but surely my 4800 can print borderless can't it? (i never have tried it I might add) and the paper is held down by vacuum isn't it? So surely i should be able to print the last half inch of an A4 page somehow shouldn't I?

But even if i can't, seeing it in the preview in Qimage sort of fools me into thinking it will print all of the image when it wont, and my paper costs £1 ($2) a sheet of A4 and it's boring. not to say expensive to print part prints. Shouldn't the preview warn me about this?

Anyone?

Jules

et up to a constant speed before spraying ink and must decelerate at the opposite side of the page, creating the left/right borders. So you've fed a sheet of 8.5 x 11 photo paper into your printer only to discover that the printer can only use an 8.0 x 10.7 inch area on that paper, leaving uneven borders around the edge that the printer sees as inaccessible. The reason that your printer cannot print in these edge/border areas is due to physical limitations of the printer itself. The print head must have enough time to accelerate for example and get up to a constant speed before spraying ink and must decelerate at the opposite side of the page, creating the left/right borders.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:46 AM   #6

Ok thanks
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:20 AM   #7

I recently purchased an Epson 4800. I also could not get it to print on the first 1/2 inch of the leading edge when using sheet paper.

Epsom explained, as I understood their explaination, the 4800 cannot print the first 1/2 inch of the leading edge because it does not use rollers to advance the paper but a vacaumn system to hold the paper flat to the platen.

This means the paper must be advanced 1/2 inch before the vacumn system can grab a hold.

Pro- No scratches from rollers which is true for me. No scratches for me after over 50,000 square inches of printing.

Con- Lose 1/2 inch printing area on leading edge.

Now I have a question : using the 4800 with roll paper I would like to have 1/4 inch borders on the leading and trailing edges but they always come out 3/4 inches on the leading and trailing edges. Any solutions?

BOBKK
BOBKK is offline   Reply With Quote