Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Nov 16, 2007, 9:12 PM   #1

Hi,

New to this forum...so hi all!

I downloaded and am running a trial copy of Qimage.
My printer profile was built using the "best photo" setting in the driver... I printed both ways as best photo and photo rpm and saw really no difference other than photo rpm seemed to be twice as slow to print. Is it necessary to use photo rpm for the best quality? It doesn't seem so..

Your thoughts?

thanks,

Rick
Etrsi_645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:19 AM   #2

I have the R1800, which is a larger format version of the same printer. The Photo RPM setting will give a small increase in resolution, but this is only visible on close inspection of fine detail, and in some gradations of light color, such as a light blue sky. It does increase ink usage, though, so I only use it when I really want the fine detail. Of course, the detail in the image has to be there for it to show in the print, also. If your original picture doesn't exceed 360 PPI at the size you are printing, the increased resolution will have no effect, (except in the gradations). For example: with my 6MP camera, a 4x6" print will have a resolution of 500PPI. In this case, a picture with fine detail will have a visible difference printed in Photo RPM, but it requires a very close examination to see it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:09 PM   #3

Thank you Brian for the response..

This best photo and photo rpm is related to DPI and NOT PPI is that correct? If so, then it has no bearing on Qimage settings? (if I understand this all correctly?)

Rick

Etrsi_645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:37 PM   #4

PPI is the image resolution and is simply pixels divided by the linear dimension. DPI is what the printer is capable of, and is often actually a multiple of the printer's actual resolution, as the print head actually puts down several spots of ink for each dot of the DPI. Epson printers' native resolution is 360 DPI, with Photo RPM at 720 DPI. The 5760 and 1440 numbers given by Epson are just multiples, derived from the number of nozzles in the print head.

If your picture's PPI resolution is higher than the printer's DPI, the printer will be the limiting factor in detail, and vice-versa.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote