Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1

When reading and rendering a psd file with pixel and adjustment layers, how does qimage handle the layers? Are only visible layers applied and are layers rendered the same way Photoshop would?

I keep master files layered and use layer groups for soft-proofing adjustments. If I use qimage to layout and print from these master files, I assume if I activate the correct soft-proofing layer before saving the file that qimage will render the correct image. Is that right?

Thanks!
kalinwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:33 AM   #2

That's right, but realize that Adobe does not support the PSD format to third parties. They stopped supporting the format at PhotoShop 5.0 and have not updated it since (outside of PhotoShop). Even their own Lightroom software can't read the most recent versions of the PSD format. So you'll likely run into some incompatibilities unless you use the maximize compatibility option in PhotoShop when you save your PSD's. If you want to make sure your files are compatible, I'd suggest using an international standard like TIFF when saving final images rather than the proprietary PSD format. That said, you can probably get by with using the PSD format as long as you use "maximize compatibility" when you save from PhotoShop but realize that PSD support is "as is" so if you run into any compatibility problems, just switch to another (standard) format.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:28 PM   #3

Hi,
finding that thread as I looked for restrictions, QImage has with .psd files.
Is there a list of known problems with .psd files?

I would like to add one item to it: it seems the "Original Size" property (yes, "Override embedded size" is not checked) doesn't work with .psd (no specialties in it, just the background layer) it uses the 300ppi. When I save the file e.g. as a .tif it works just fine...

Gerd
gerdmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdmuller View Post
Hi,
finding that thread as I looked for restrictions, QImage has with .psd files.
Is there a list of known problems with .psd files?

I would like to add one item to it: it seems the "Original Size" property (yes, "Override embedded size" is not checked) doesn't work with .psd (no specialties in it, just the background layer) it uses the 300ppi. When I save the file e.g. as a .tif it works just fine...

Gerd
Because Adobe's support of the PSD format to third parties is only partial, I have no access to the embedded file size in the software I'm using. Some companies have "hacked" or figured out their own way around this but I don't plan to update support for PSD files when Adobe has officially stopped supporting the format: they don't even fully support it in their own products outside of PhotoShop. Bottom line: use an international standard like TIFF instead of the proprietary formats if you need compatibility.

Regards,
Mike