Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Sep 7, 2003, 12:41 PM   #1

Default How to increase printing/spooling speed ...

Hi Mike, (or anyone else!)

I've started to use Qimage for my printing. Great Program!!

Here's my questions ...

1- What can I do to speed up the spooling? I do set my images at 250 dpi ...yes, I am aware that Q will resample the res. Could I set the res lower if Q is going to resample anyway? In other words ...could I create my images for example at 120 dpi thus making them smaller so Q will spool faster?

2- Will the speed of the computer have a huge effect on the spooling time ...I assume yes! What about a separate HD for swap files ...should Q be on a different drive to help speed?

Thanks for your time Mike.

Regards,

Tom Coles

PS ... Should any sharpening be done in PS?

www.jthomasphotographic.com
Tom Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:55 AM   #2

Spool time is more related to the interpolation level (Max, High, Med, Low, Off) and the final print sharpening. If quality is not the highest importance, for example if you are printing drafts or contact sheets, setting the interpolation level to a lower level (or off) and turning off final print sharpening will speed things up.

Other than that, the speed of the machine itself is the limiting factor.

P.S. Not only would I not do any sharpening in PS, I wouldn't resample the images at all.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I have a friend that uses Q and does the cropping with it. Here's my problem ... I put my signiture on all my images so if I crop with Q I could crop the sig in half or right off!

Also, I will usually add a burn (vignette) action to each image. Again, if cropping is done in Q I could/will loose the vignette.

Any suggestions?

Tom
Old Sep 9, 2003, 11:08 AM   #4

"I have a friend that uses Q and does the cropping with it. Here's my problem ... I put my signiture on all my images so if I crop with Q I could crop the sig in half or right off!"

True. Not much you can do about that if you are putting the sig on the picture itself. You could, however, put your signature on a Qimage cutout and have Qimage stamp the signature onto the image! That way, no matter what crop you use, the stamped signature will go on the final crop.

"Also, I will usually add a burn (vignette) action to each image. Again, if cropping is done in Q I could/will loose the vignette. "

Also true. Qimage also offers some vignetting cutouts too though that might work for what you want to do. Otherwise, you'd have to make sure that the aspect ratio of your image matched the print.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 11:31 AM   #5

Thanks again Mike.

I'll have to try your ideas.

Tom