Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Sep 25, 2003, 2:32 PM   #1

Default magenta mask

I used PS Elements this am to edit a .jpg image, saved it as .tif, and then opened Qimage. The thumb of the new image was a deep magenta, while all the rest in the folder, including the original, were in their usual colors. The tif image in the Windows file viewer or PSE was in normal color. I then opened other folders in Qimage. In some folders (nearly half of the total) all thumbs were magenta, in others none. In all but the original folder the thumbs were either all OK or all magenta This did not correlate with the cameras used to create the images (minolta dimage 5 and 7i, Oly 3200). Images placed in the que did not have an attached filter. When I opened the edit function they loaded in original color that was replaced in a fraction of a second with the magenta mask. If I clicked Done the Save filter options menu contained a note in red indicating a filter (I don't remember the exact wording) but unclicking the attach filter boxes had no effect. I closed and reopened Qimage, rebooted the computer but could not solve the problem.

I really appreciate the support you provide for Qimage users, and I don't think I could be a happy photographer without Qimage. Thanks for your help.
lawtonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:52 AM   #2

The fact that you say the image appears normally and then is replaced with a magenta version tells me that it is your monitor profile causing the magenta mask. Turn "Mntr ICC" off or see if you can find a better monitor profile; I believe your monitor profile is corrupted or not appropriate for your monitor. Once you've turned "Mntr ICC" off or picked a better profile, click "View", "Rebuild Thumbs" in the affected folders and Qimage will build the thumbnails with the new profile in place.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:55 AM   #3

I recently had another episode of the magenta mask phenomonen corrupting all of the files in a single folder. I believe that this may have happened when I received a message from Qimage telling me that the monitor profile selected for Qimage (sRGB) did not match the one used by Windows. I have a Samsung 900NF monitor, for which the default profile is sm959nf.icm. For some reason Qimage does not recognize this as a valid icc profile.

I may have caused the problem by switching to the sm959nf profile. I cured it by turning off Mntr icc. I find that I can now reactivate the above profile and everything is back to normal.

I am happy with the color match between my monitor and the prints I make with my Canon i9100 printer without profiling, using either Canon or Minolta cameras. I am just curious why Qimage doesn't like the sm959nf.icm profile of this excellent monitor? Should I change the profile in Windows to one that Qimage likes?
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:14 AM   #4

What was it that gave you the indication Qimage didn't like the profile? What happens when you set Qimage to the profile? Is the magenta cast the only issue, or do you get error messages? If it's just the magenta cast that is the issue, the profile itself is likely corrupted.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:06 PM   #5

I meant only that Qimage states in the right lower pane the "This is not a valid icc profile." I have used either Adobe or sRGB for the moniter icc, not realizing that Windows was using the Samsung icc. Apparently I got in trouble when I tried to match Windows and Qimage, using the Samsung icc for both. The magenta mask was the only issue, and it was applied to only a single folder.