Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Nov 16, 2008, 5:02 AM   #1

I use Nikon Capture NX2 to process my RAW files (NEF). After processing I (1) save them as TIFF for print output or (2) add the sRGB color profileto the image and save them asJPGfor web-output.
When I use Qimage to make prints I get excellent results using both file-types. Now I am wondering: does the embedded color profile in the image have any impact on the print result or not?

Regards, Frank
frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2

This article should help:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...ober_2006.html

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:46 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Mike. The article is very helpfull. However I am still confused about the following:
Example: After processing my raw image (NEF)in Nikon Capture NX I save the file as a JPG. This means the original color space of the image (AdobeRGB) is the color space of the JPG. Alternatively I can save the raw-file, after adding the sRGB color profile,as aJPG for web-output (using a different filename). This means I have 2 output JPG files, one with color space AdobeRGB and one with sRGB.
When printing these 2 files in Qimage I get excellent results in both cases; actually I see no difference at all. My question remains: does Qimage use the color space that is originally present in the raw-file and not the one that is added to the JPG? If this is the case can Isave all my output in sRGB and either use them for Web or prints?

Best regards, Frank
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:32 AM   #4

Raw images have no color space! To get a color space from a raw file, for example a raw that was saved as a JPG, you must convert to that profile during the raw --> JPG conversion process. So basically whatever color space you choose for saving your JPG is what Qimage will use because it will see the embedded profile in the JPG. Adobe RGB is always a better choice for printing because it is a larger gamut space that can capture more saturated colors.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:39 PM   #5

Thanks very much Mike. That answers my question. I will have to save my output files with sRGB color space for web and with Adobe RGB for printing purposes then.

Regards, Frank