Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:12 PM   #1

Qimage is absolute king of quality printing. It is so good that I am not happy printing photos with anything else. Recently I have created some photobooks with HP PhotoSmart Essential, and am very pleased with the album designs it creates. The only problem is that the print quality compared to Qimage is not very good. So I tried to use Qimage Cutouts to replicate the pages in the HP PhotoSmart Essential photobook (all the clipart is available) and found it is impossible with the current Qimage feature set because cutous fade to the backround color rather than to whatever picture is placed below (when doing manual placement one picture can be on top of parts of others). The capability to fade to whatever is below would be useful for many nice printing projects. In a nutshel: We need cutouts to fade to whatever is below (which may not be the background page) rather than to the background color. Any chance we can see this in a future version? Any way to achieve it with the current Qimage features?
ezstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:55 AM   #2

Thanks for the suggestion. While fading to a background image would require an upgrade, if you just want to fade to a different background (solid) color, that can be achieved by creating a cutout with a custom fade. See this link:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/qi...on.htm#cutouts

And scroll down just a little to the heading "Fading to colors other than white".

That section shows you how to fade to any color.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:17 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. You have documented Qimage very well, so I was aware of fading to any color via cutout naming convention. Just to clarify, it would be useful to fade to another photo or photos (or parts of them) that might be placed below (not necessarily to a background image). That capability will truly open up impressive possibilities. Not to push, but just to provide some context to how this feature could be used, I have attached a sample page that I was trying to recreate with Qimage. 1) I could not do the rounded corners using a .frame cutout, and if I used a regular cutout the border would eat too much of what I want visible. With the mentioned feature, the blue rounded frame could have been treated as a separate photo that was simply placed directly on top of the photo it frames, and that can be sized to achieve whatever is desired. 2) The clip art is placed so that it covers portions of each of the two photos and also the background, couldn't achieve that without forcing background color into the pictures below. - Thanks for the great software.
Attached Images

ezstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:03 PM   #4

Actually, in looking at this, you should be able to get very very close to this just using cutouts. You could create the blue frames with the rounded corners and even the rounded corners on the image inside the blue frames. There would be two cutouts: the one on the right would have the little tear-drop type shapes on the left edge and the cutout on the left would have them on the right edge. Then you just drop them close together and overlap them a bit. To do what you pictured would only require two different cutouts, one placed on each of the images.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote