Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:55 PM   #1

:?I have operated Noritsu and Fuji Minilabs, I also have years of darkroom experience, and I have to say that in studio printing with my new Epson 4880 and Qimage is starting to make my blood boil. Here are a few of the major problems I am having. 1.) I am using Kodak 10" roll paper, and the printer is not cutting. I have tried setting the driver to both auto cut and double cut and nothing is happening. (It does cut when I print from Photoshop.) 2.) It is wasting a lot of paper. Lots of empty space around prints. I thought that Qimage would gang everything up and pack it together in a way that used the least amount of paper. Example: when I print 4 4x5s it prints them in portrait orientation leaving a lot of empty space between each print and on the sides of the 10" roll. Where as if they were landscape oriented, then they would come out with no empty space. 3.) When using the Kodak paper profile in Q image the prints come out washed out, (in photoshop the Kodak profile works fine). And yes, I turned off the color management in the driver and per the instructions. When I turn off the color management in Qimage, and let the driver handle it (on auto), the pictures seem to come come out ok, but not quite as nice as photoshop. I need some help guys! I know that this can work because other photographers are using it and doing exactly what I want to do, so it must just be me. Trying to figure this out myself is wasting a ton of time, paper, and ink.
Todd K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:29 PM   #2

First, cutting is a driver function, not a software function. If it is not cutting, there is a setting in the driver that is not correct. Software has no control over the cutter and the driver should cut whenever the software sends a page break: provided the driver is set to do so.

Also look at the paper size when you are using that 10" paper. Look at the size listed above the preview page in Qimage. Most printers will not be able to print on the entire 10" width and will leave some border so your size is likely 9.xx by whatever length. Given that, you cannot print two 4x5's across the paper in landscape so that's why Qimage fits them in portrait orientation. PhotoShop often does a lot of things without telling you like cutting off a small portion of the 5 inch width to get it to fit on that 9.89 inch wide printable area (or whatever the size is). Qimage won't do that: arbitrarily chop off the print to get it to fit. You'd have to be in borderless or "no margins" mode to print 10 inches across on 10 inch paper and even then you'll run into other issues like expansion caused by borderless printing.

Finally, on your profile, if that Kodak profile is designed properly, it should work in any software but did the profile come with instructions that tell you exactly how to set up the driver? The profile is useless without instructions like what paper type to choose in the driver, what quality to use, and how to set color management in the driver (whether to turn it off or use some other color mode). If you have the driver settings set exactly the way the instructions outline, you select the profile in Qimage's Prtr ICC and select the same rendering intent and black point compensation on/off, it should print with identical color to PhotoShop.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:31 AM   #3

Ok, I selected on the borderless printing option, then manually entered a print size of 9.77 x 8. This seems to be giving me a full 8x10 (it shows as 10.002x8in) in Qimage, and allows me print 4 4x5s! It is also now cutting, I am not sure what I did to acomplish this. But hey its cutting so thats good! I am still working on getting the Kodak driver to work, but I have a few ideas. Now I am wondering what is going to happen when I load some 16" roll paper!
Thanks,
Todd K.
Todd K. is offline   Reply With Quote