Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:24 PM   #1

I am an action sports and yearbook photographer and a long time happy Qimage Pro user. I shoot in raw and process images to jpeg to upload to my website, about 300-600 per game or event, and sometimes 3000-5000 images per day for large events.. I use Capture 1 ver 3xx (just can't get ver 4 and my workflow in sync) and evaluate and crop each image prior to upload. I FTP to my website using Photo Mechanic to resize and watermark my images. I use Qimage to print to Epson R2400, 4880, and 7800.

Because of the raw processing capability in the Studio version, I am wondering if Qimage could replace Capture 1 or even parts of Photo Mechanic in my workflow. I have reviewed the documentation and it is not clear to me the extent of the raw processing capabilities. Does anyone have any experience using Qimage in this type of workflow?

Also, is there a way to demo the studio version to check it out without causing issue with my current license?

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks,

Bill
BGSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:15 AM   #2

The Studio edition may fit very well into your workflow because Qimage excels at getting the most out of your photos while minimizing touchups. Qimage's smart exposure ensures perfect exposure on nearly all images and when you do need to make touchups, you can make them with just 2-3 clicks of the mouse using a refining tool that makes things like exposure and fill light much easier than most tools. There is no trial for the Studio edition but we do have a new PDF file that shows you screen shots of the Qimage raw refine tools. You can get an idea of how easy it is to touch up exposure, WB, and fill light by looking at the PDF at the top of this Qimage raw page:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:31 AM   #3

Thanks Mike,

I have reviewed the PDF and have a followup question. There seems to be no crop function discussed. Can the raw image be "cropped" so that the output image is the result of the crop or would I have to crop it post saving the jpg image?

Thinking about the workflow that I described, do you think that this would be a one handed mouse based operation in Qimage and, do you think that going through 300 images and attending to each on a daily basis is doable?

Bill
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4

The refine process you saw is just to touch up the raw processing on the few images that might not be perfect by default. There are a lot of other image processing capabilities in the batch filter. Once you have corrected any exposure or WB errors, the raws are ready for other things like cropping which can be done in the batch filter either by image or in batch. Qimage can easily downsample, crop, and even deal with small blemish removal very easily. You could crop some images that need cropping, remove some blemishes from someone's skin, add a little contrast or color, as needed, and then just add the images to the queue and process (convert) them to JPEG's and downsample while you go if you wish (for the web). All these "after the raw" touchups are part of the batch filter and they can be demoed via the Pro edition.

Because of Qimage's powerful batching capabilities, it would seem well suited to what you are doing. And I'm not just saying that to make a sale! :lol: I'm not happy unless my customers are happy.

Mike
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5

Thanks Mike,

Sounds like it is worth a shot!

Arethere any active user forums besides this one where use of Qimage is a major topic?

As a long time user (Nil put me on to you a few years back) I really appreciate your business model!!

Bill
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6

There are two Yahoo forums dedicated to Qimage. The main forum is http://yahoogroups.com/group/qimage where we have over 5,000 users and the list is pretty active with at least several posts per day. The other forum is the forum dedicated to the Studio Edition. That forum only has about a thousand members but is almost as active. Anyone can join the main forum but you have to be a registered Studio Edition user to join the Studio forum.

Mike