Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old May 10, 2009, 6:48 PM   #1

Default Print to File problem

Mike, I am having a problem printing files at Costco. I am using the same procedure as I have done before with my 4 x 6 prints and have not had any problems. When I take 8 x 10 files there to print, their printer says the files are too large. These file sizes are roughly 9 megs which is below the maximum of 10 megs they say they can accept to print.

What I have done was to bring my tiff files (8 x 10 inch, 19 megs file size, 290 ppi resolution, and 19.4 pixel dimension size) into QImage (latest version Pro), selected print to File, and then Print. The setup up for print is using Print to File, Costco printer profile, print size 8 x 10 size, select jpeg and 95% size, select location to save and accept the Costco printer resolution shown of 790 ppi, then Print. File is saved to selected location and shows as about 9 megs in file size (Photoshop says also that this file has 125.3 meg pixel dimension size).

Side question: why is pixel dimension size different than the file size? Tiff file was 19 meg file size and dimension size, jpeg was 9 meg file size but 123 meg pixel dimension size.

Why then won’t these files which are below the 10 meg size limitation not be accepted to print?

Should I set the resolution in QImage to 350 ppi instead of the 790 provided in the printer profile?

Or is there something I am not doing right?

Thank you, William
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 8:03 PM   #2

Where did you get that 790 PPI? That seems suspect. Online printers only use resolutions between 300 and 420 PPI. 790 is too high and that's why the file size is too large. 9 MB is the compressed size: the printers care about uncompressed (pixel) size.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:13 AM   #3

Mike,

This value came up in the dialog when going through the Print to File window. I did not set this value myself, it was there in the little window box.

My setup in the main QImage window for Monitor, ICC printer profile, showed 370 ppi as printer resolution, for the Costco printer selection. But, like I said above, the default 790 ppi showed up in the Print to File dialogs.

I did the same thing again, but this time changed the 790 to 370 and Printed this to File. I will take these files to Costco and see what happens. These files show up in Photoshop as the same value for file size and print dimensions.

Any thoughts where the 790 value came from?

Thank you, William
Old May 11, 2009, 2:03 PM   #4

When you print to file, the PPI is arbitrary: it probably just picked up whatever was there last time. As far as Costco printing, if they use a Fuji Frontier, you should shoot for 300 PPI. If they use Noritsu printers, 400 PPI. I've never heard of 370 PPI.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:33 PM   #5

Mike, thank you for responding so quickly.

I redid the pictures to file using 370 PPI (you say now to use 400) and Costco printer accepted them and printed out nicely.

Attached picture shows what I saw and did. I may be in error thinking that selecting a Prtr ICC also brings with it the printer's printing characteristics.

The 740 number is from the Epson 1400 printer (Yes ???).
Attached Images