Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:41 PM   #1

Default Gamut woes; saturated yellows print blue

In Qimage, when I print an image with strong, saturated yellows, those yellow areas show up in BLUE ink on my prints. When I use Photoshop to print the same file using the same ICC profile on the same printer to the same roll of paper in the same size, everything prints fine. (HP Z3100 printer on HP Premium Instant Dry Satin paper; CS3 and Qimage under XP)

Different rendering intents make no appreciable difference.

I would greatly appreciate some insight and suggestions. Why are these yellow areas printing in blue? Why only from Qimage and not from Photoshop? And how do I fix this so I can continue to use the superb power of Qimage? Thank you very much!

Last edited by Dotcom Editor; Jun 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM.
Dotcom Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2

The Z3100 is prone to driver changes that make older/saved setups incompatible. I'd do two things:

(1) Download and install the latest Qimage version (now 2009.262) so we know we're on the same page with a fresh install.

(2) Use "Help", "Reset printer settings" in Qimage and then go back into Qimage and set up all the driver settings you need for the profile manually: do not load prior/saved printer setups you may have saved in Qimage.

That should take care of any issues with the program itself or the driver. Of course, once you've done (2) above you can save the printer setup if you like. The problem might be coming from loading *old* setups.

Mike
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the response, Mike.

I always use the latest version of Qimage (2009.262 at the moment). I have never saved printer settings in Qimage. In fact, the only thing I've ever saved is a couple of print Jobs from last Christmas. Nevertheless, I did the Reset Printer Settings, and then chose my settings manually (which, I guess, is what I do all the time). Same results. The saturated yellows are still printing in a blueish-grey color, regardless of rendering intent. But printing from within PS is fine. My guess is that PS is pulling the out-of-gamut colors back to something the printer can handle, but Qimage is doing that differently, or perhaps not at all. The only way I can make the blue-grey go away is to pull the saturation down significantly. Anyway, I'm really stumped. I really appreciate your personal attention to this problem.

Last edited by Dotcom Editor; Jun 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM.
Dotcom Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:08 AM   #4

Might be quickest to email me the image you are printing and the printer profile to mchaney@ddisoftware.com. That way I can take a look.

Thanks,
Mike