Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Nov 30, 2003, 9:57 PM   #1

Default icc profiles for s9000 and ijg ink

Gentlemen,
Iv'e searched high and low trying to find icc profiles for various papers and usiing ijk oem and canon s9000 using qimage. any assistance would be extremely appreciated.
hiking girl
hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2

Probably the best way is to develop your own profile with a tool like http://www.ddisoftware.com/prism
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 5:09 PM   #3

you can have your icc profile for this paper, made with spectro an profile maker pro,

look here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/christophe.m...e/profile.html

christophe metairie
christophe metairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4

There are basically three routes to take with respect to obtaining profiles for your printer, ink, and paper. The first is to purchase a profiling tool. These can range from $79 for our own Profile Prism (http://www.ddisoftware.com/prism) up to well over $1000 for tools that use a spectrophotometer. The cheaper tools are scanner based and often require some "tweaking" to get good results but with a little "fuss" can produce profiles nearly as good as the very expensive spectro-based profilers. The advantage to the do-it-yourself tools is that you pay once and can keep reprofiling when the paper or ink changes or your printer needs a "recalibration" over time. There is also a sense of satisfaction and a greater sense of "knowledge" on what is going on in the profiling process so many people prefer this do-it-yourself method.

The second way to obtain profiles for your printer is to go with pre-made profiles that were designed for your printer model, ink, and paper. Some (relatively poor quality in my opinion) can be found at places like inkjetmall, but we also offer some premade, pretested profiles at http://www.ddisoftware.com/printerprofiles. The advantage here is that you can get the profiles right away via email without any printing of targets, mailing, and waiting. The down side is that while these profiles can help you get good color, they are the least accurate because they are based on a printer model line (not your specific printer) and changes in ink and paper formulations cannot be taken into account, nor can changes to the print driver.

The third option is to have someone make a profile for you based on you printing a target, mailing it to them, and waiting for them to create a profile based on the print you send in. These tend to be the most accurate but (IMO) only marginally more accurate than a good scanner based profiling tool like Profile Prism used with a good quality scanner. The down side is the wait, and the fact that you pay on a per-profile basis so if your ink, paper, or printer/driver changes, you have to pay again for a new profile and each profile will cost you a set amount of money so you could pay a lot if you often use numerous types of paper. I don't know Christophe who has been posting here, but if you want to go this route, http://www.cathysprofiles.com is a reputable and well known U.S. based outfit and I would recommend them as they provide good service and support and can be found in many of the online forums with quite a large following of satisfied customers. They are cheaper than the French based web site as well since $40 Euro is more than the $40 U.S. that Cathy charges.

Just some info for you...

Mike
Old May 26, 2004, 6:13 PM   #5

sorry mike, if Qimage is a very good software ( i bought it and use it every day ) profile prism just can't do the job... i bought it 3 years ago and after many and many new versions ( some time 2 in a week ! ) the only thing it did is waste paper and time... a scanner is not good to do precise profiles, the light source isn't good for that, whatever the software is... i think you know what i'm talking about ...

talking about price, for 40 euro i give you 4 color profiles for different light sources ( metamerism correction ) or a pack of 5 black and white profiles wich are specific profiles for BW printing ( the process is different from color profiles ) with warm , neutral or cold balance ( i think i'm alone to do those kind of profiles, no ? )

i have made hundreds of profiles here in france, and have many happy customers in many countries.

christophe metairie.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/christophe.m...e/profile.html
Old May 26, 2004, 6:19 PM   #6

one more thing mike,with Qimageit could be very usefull to be able on a same page to assign different profiles to the different files: for exemple on the same page: file 1 : warm1.icc file2 : neutral.icc f ile 3 : cold.icc

thank you,

christophe metairie.
Old May 26, 2004, 7:13 PM   #7

christophe metairie wrote:
Quote:
sorry mike, if Qimage is a very good software ( i bought it and use it every day ) profile prism just can't do the job... i bought it 3 years ago and after many and many new versions ( some time 2 in a week ! ) the only thing it did is waste paper and time... a scanner is not good to do precise profiles, the light source isn't good for that, whatever the software is... i think you know what i'm talking about ...
Fortunately, we have a lot of customers who disagree with you. :-) The Canon LiDE 80 scanner has a more neutral LED light source and performs exceptionally well at creating printer profiles. With the controls available in Profile Prism and a little RGB bias tweaking, once you get the hang of it, you can produce profiles that are nearly identical to those produced by spectro based systems on most inkjet printers/papers. I'm not sure when you last used Profile Prism but it has been going strong for 8 months now without a single update. We just don't need the updates as much any more because most people swear by it and we haven't found the need to update it recently, although we always plan for the future.

A lot of the art of getting good profiles is using good mapping techniques since a spectro cannot compensate for small color gamuts and the fact that some colors simply cannot be printed. Nor can they compensate for the fact that the current CMM is not a "smart CMM" because the color management engine does not know the color space of the input image and therefore cannot map optimally between the input and output color spaces. A lot of profiling tools simply do not pick good overall mapping techniques.

Profile Prism has better out-of-gamut mapping than even most of the spectro based systems because I notice that most spectro based profiles still suffer from improper gamut mapping issues like blues turning purple, reds turning orange, etc. due to hue shift so I can often exceed the quality of spectro based profiles in that regard. Spectros are not the "panacea" of profiling that many people would like you to think. They may get better once "smart CMM" is released (if it ever is), but right now, running a spectro is a lot like driving a Lamborghini on a gravel road. The current CMM is as limiting a factor as spectro versus scanner.

Mike