Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:11 PM   #1

Default qimage trial, how do I get the most out of it?

First of all, I have yet to receive my printer (rx500). It's on it's way via usps.

I'm interested in giving qimage a whirl. My questions are, is there any simplified tutorials for beginners to read, so as to get a basic understanding of qimage? If so, I would like to read this before I download the trial.
I have a tendency to explore on my own and while good, it is time consuming and in many cases, I wind up with disastrous results.

My primary interest (at least for the start) is to be able to print a size that I'm after, that will render a sharp, high resolution picture and do so with relative ease.
Yes, I do realize you need a good picture from the start

I have heard that printing above 400 ppi can render poor results. Is this highly debatable? I guess the proof is in the pudding and am willing to view for myself.

Curious, as I've heard mention of native resolution: where can I find info on what my printers "native" resolution is?

Lastly, I understand that many people do use the Profile Prism system (paper/printer/monitor?). How beneficial is this and would I definately be able to produce much better prints using it?
I also understand that you need a good scanner for this. Will the Epson 2400 (which is part of my rx500) be sufficient for the task?

If I decide to go that route (also), it will be later. I have to take this one step at a time lest I become too overwhelmed. :shock:
I have a tendency to try to learn everything at once but am finding that I don't get far with this approach.

Amazingly, there is so much to learn, regarding digital photography and printing! When purchasing my camera...I would have never of guessed that I would wind up in this boat! I've decided though that it's worth it

~Kate

*Canon G3, Hiti 630pl, Epson rx500, PSP7 <--complete newbie*
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2

First, I'd suggest downloading Qimage and then clicking "Help", "Contents", "Getting Familiar with Qimage" and then the "Learn by Example" section. That section has many examples to help you get familiar with Qimage and most of your questions will be answered in those two sections of the help.

As for resolution of prints, that's one thing you never have to worry about with Qimage as it is designed to handle all of those details optimally. The "native resolution" of the print driver is always listed in Qimage above the preview page and is based on driver settings, paper type, etc.

With regard to profiles, I'd recommend getting familiar with your printer and printing first. Once you are familiar with your printer, Qimage, and your ability to produce good color with your printer, you can decide if you need profiles or a profiling tool.

If you are just starting out, the best advice is to take it one step at a time and above all else, have fun! 8)
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 1:27 PM   #3

Quote:
First, I'd suggest downloading Qimage and then clicking "Help", "Contents", "Getting Familiar with Qimage" and then the "Learn by Example" section. That section has many examples to help you get familiar with Qimage and most of your questions will be answered in those two sections of the help.
That will do!

Quote:
As for resolution of prints, that's one thing you never have to worry about with Qimage as it is designed to handle all of those details optimally. The "native resolution" of the print driver is always listed in Qimage above the preview page and is based on driver settings, paper type, etc.
See response above :lol:

Quote:
With regard to profiles, I'd recommend getting familiar with your printer and printing first. Once you are familiar with your printer, Qimage, and your ability to produce good color with your printer, you can decide if you need profiles or a profiling tool.
Good, honest advice. Thank you.

If I think I need it, do you think the Epson 2400 scanner will suffice? I ask this as I know it isn't a top-end scanner, when compared to the new Epson scanner.
Though will certainly be better than my old.

The specs on the 2400 is as follows:

Scanner Type

Color flatbed
Photoelectric Device

Color CCD Line Sensor
Optical Resolution

2400 dpi
Hardware Resolution

2400 x 4800
Maximum Resolution

9600 x 9600 interpolated
Scanner Bit Depth

48 bit

I suspect the 9600 x 9600 is a figure not worth looking at.

Thank you for your prompt reply, Mike. After I set up my printer and adjust my monitor, I'll download the trial version. If all works out well, I will purchase qimage.

Thanks again,
~Kate
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:39 PM   #4

The 2400 is more than adequate for Profile Prism. All you really need is an Epson 1260 or above, so the 2400 is almost overkill.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote