Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Monitor profile

I have been testing Quimage. It's doing a
great job on my prints.I have one problem
What I see on my monitor doesn't look as
good as the picture(out of the printer.)
Do I need to calibrate my monitor?
I couldn't find my monitor profile in the program.
Would this help? My monitor is a
IBM 6332 E74. My printer is a canon S750.
Any help would be great!
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:42 AM   #2

In what way are the on screen images deficient? I assume you are referring to the color of the images and not something like sharpness. If your concern is monitor color, you could start by setting the color temperature of your monitor to 6500 (if your monitor has a color temp setting). Then adjust the contrast to maximum and set the brightness at about 80-90%. After doing that, try just using sRGB for your monitor profile.

If the above still produces images that you feel are not color accurate, you will have to calibrate your monitor with a colorimeter. http://www.colorvision.com has a product called the "Spyder" that does that type of calibration at a reasonable price.

Note that calibrating your monitor using a tool like Adobe Gamma can sometimes helps but in many cases may actually make things worse because you eventually have to guess at your monitor's phosphor type which is the most important aspect of color management and cannot be accurately obtained without measuring with a colorimeter. So, if you use one of those "visual" calibration tools like Adobe Gamma, YMMVG (your mileage may vary greatly). :-)
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. The color seems to be fine. I was referring to the jagged outlines on the small thumbnails in the
"gallery",and in the "edit" screen.
When I change it to full screen
the picture looks great. Is this a problem
with my monitor?
Old Sep 26, 2002, 3:04 PM   #4

It's not a problem with the monitor. Qimage Pro uses only the small thumbnails for the preview page and the edit page in order to get the best speed of display.

You can force the page editor to load the actual images if you like by changing "View" in the lower right to "All Images" instead of "Thumbs/Small Images", but if you do, the time it takes to draw all the prints on the page will increase.

The small preview page on the main window will always use thumbnails since that preview is so small to begin with.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 7:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the response.The program is doing a great job. I haven't found a program or setup to print on Royal Brites
paper. Royal Brites blames the canon printer. Canon blames Royal Brites. I think
I believe Canon more. I'm stuck with bad
paper,guess I'll use it for "test" prints.