Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1

I am still trying to get the hang of this color management deal. I am using all canned profiles. My camera uses the sRGB space, I have my monitor currently set to use it's sRGB space, and my canon printer is set to BJ Color Printer Profile 2000 which from what I read is the profile that expects sRGB input. I was happy, pleased and tickled that what I saw on screen was what printed on the printer. Then I read more about this and read that Adobe RGB has a wider color scale or gamut or whatever it's called. Now I'm wondering if I should set my monitor to adobe rgb and use the SP1, SP2, MP1, etc. profiles on the canon since I also read they are more for use with the wider adobe RGB space. What I don't understand in what I read is how going from the camera sRGB an adobe RGB profile would know about the extra colors in that space. If they aren't there in the origional camera sRGB, where do they come from when translated? I either misunderstood the last thing I read about this or there's magic here I don't understand. If there's magic available I'd rather use it, otherwise I'll go back to what I was doing.

Thanks in advance for help/comments.
l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:55 AM   #2

Excellent question!I apologize for responding withoutananswer, but I can tell you thatI had horrible results using the Adobe RGB input profilewith any printer profile (Canon camera and printer). I've stuck with sRGB ever since and been pretty happy with the results. Hopefully someone can shed some light.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:09 AM   #3

Have you seen my article on color management in the TC column?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...gust_2004.html

Adobe RGB is something you have to select in the camera. If the camera can't shoot in Abobe RGB up front, there is little benefit to converting to that later. Also, you'd never want to set your monitor or printer profile to Adobe RGB. Adobe RGB is an *input* or *working* profile and your monitor/printer are output devices. Your monitor and printer need their own profiles.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:11 AM   #4

Once again, thank you for the info. If anyone is curious about how color management actually works read Mr. Chaney's article. It's the most clear and concise description of how things work that I've read. It cleared up a lot of questions for me.

Thanks again.
l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote