Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:18 PM   #1

Learning Qimage and have a few basic questions. As a bit of background, I'm primarily interested in printing large batches of borderless 4x6 vacation photo's at my local Costco.

1) When using the print to file command, I'm a bit confused by the "Print to File: Page Definition" dialogue box. I'm unsure of what to enter for page width, height and resolution. Since I've already have 6.00 x 4.00 as my default size in Qimage and am using the ICC Profile from my local Costco (downloaded from drycreekphoto), I don't want to enter any values that may conflict with those.

2) In that same dialogue box, I've selected "Printer – use "Princer ICC' and print sharpening. Does this mean that Qimage does some sort of sharpening independent of the normal sharpening commands?

3) Does Qimage have an "auto levels" correction command like that found in Adobe Photoshop Elements?

Like I said, I'm just printing vacation pictures and want to get through quickly but still applying basic color correction and sharpening techniques. Thanks!
jjtindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:31 PM   #2

Costco uses 300 DPI printers so set your resolution to 300 PPI/DPI. If you are getting 4x6 prints from Costco, select 4x6 as your paper size. That's all you need to do, other than insert the profile you downloaded from DrkCreek into Qimage's "Prtr ICC". Be aware that to use these profiles, however, the Costco will have to be running their printers with the auto corrections off; some of them are refusing to run them that way as of late, making the profile not work properly. If your Costco won't turn off their auto corrections on their printers, you'll have to print without a profile.

Qimage will apply a reasonable level of sharpening if you have smart sharpening set to defaults. You can print and adjust to your taste once you see how sharp the prints come out on the first batch. There's no way to "simulate" how sharp a particular printer will be until you run test prints.

The auto-levels in Qimage is called the "Exposure" filter. Check "exposure" in the batch filter and it will perform an auto-levels.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:47 PM   #3

Terrific, thank you for confirming. One last question.

When you say "Qimage will apply a reasonable level of sharpening if you have smart sharpening set to defaults," do you mean to leave "sharpness equalizer" slider bar in the off position as well as leave "sharpen," "radius" and "strength" values at zero?
jjtindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:08 AM   #4

jjtindc wrote:
Quote:
Terrific, thank you for confirming. One last question.

When you say "Qimage will apply a reasonable level of sharpening if you have smart sharpening set to defaults," do you mean to leave "sharpness equalizer" slider bar in the off position as well as leave "sharpen," "radius" and "strength" values at zero?
No. Those parameters are part of the filters that get applied to *images*, i.e. you can do those on an image by image basis. The final print sharpening is what applies sharpening to your prints. You'll find that under "Prints", "Print Interpolation".

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote