Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Oct 7, 2002, 12:47 AM   #1

Default Define paper/page size

I have a Canon s9000 which can print up to 13x19. I would like to create a Quick size for each of three sizes I often use: 11x14, 11x17, 13x19. I have wasted much time trying to achieve this. The program insists on printing on two pages no matter what I try. I have followed instructions on setting the sizes in the printer dialog box. but still nothing. Please advise how I might do this...
Tech Type
tech type is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2002, 8:06 PM   #2

I had a similar problem/question regarding setting the paper size to what I wanted, not what the program insisted on setting it to.

I also have another problem. I have all my images on CD, not the hard disk, when I set up a page to print I usually have to make some adjustments (such as levels or brightness), when I click on done a dialog box appears asking if I want to save the setting, if I click cancel, nothing happens (adjustment/edit window does not close). Clicking on done again just brings up the same dialog, so I end up having to click on OKAY, which then generates an error, but does close the edit window. I think the problem is that my pictures are on CD and the program tries to write to the CD, but cannot. I assume this is a bug that you can fix, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Declan

PS: Could we make the levels box larger and the window that opens to display the changes we make to the image is just too small to really see what is happening. How about letting us see the changes on the entire image (as photoshop does).
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 7:45 AM   #3

You have to work within the limitations of your printer and print driver. Qimage Pro cannot overcome physical hardware limitations or "override" print driver settings. Simply click "File", "Printer Setup" and select the proper paper size and also select whether or not you want to print borderless.

Once you've done that, when you return to the main window, you will see the printable area as defined by your print driver (displayed above the preview page). If you exceed that size, Qimage Pro will tell you that it has to span more than one page. Note that since your print driver dictates the printable area, no other software can print larger than the size listed above the preview page either.

Sometimes (even if you select borderless), your printable area will still be slightly less than the paper size. The S9000 for example, cannot print borderless prints on 13x19 paper. It is physically impossible because the carriage on the S9000 cannot print 13 inches wide. As a result, you will get an actual printable area less than 13x19. Suffice it to say that if you get the message that the print will span more than one page, you are trying to enter a print size that exceeds the physical hardware limitations of the printer. You can still print as large a print as possible. Just click "Quick Size" and then click "Full Page" or simply enter the size listed above the preview page. If you do that, you'll get the largest print possible on the paper you are using, without it trying to span more than one page.

Some other software will allow you to select sizes that won't print (like 13x19 on an S9000) and won't give you any warning. That doesn't mean they are printing a 13x19; they are not. They are simply chopping off part of the photo without telling you. Qimage Pro will not do that.

As to the question about problems modifying photos on a CD, like any other software, you cannot do that (unless it is a direct-writeable CD). Modifying images (even via associative filters) should be interpreted as making changes to the original images. While associative filters can be deleted/removed, they still need to be written to the same location as the source image, so you need to look at the process of associative filtering in the same light as modifying the original. If the original image is on read-only media, then you cannot modify it with an associative filter either.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 5:54 PM   #4

re: the associative filter and CD problem.

How about allowing the user to specify a location of his choosing in the setup menu to save these filters. Then, even working from a CD, the filter could be saved.

Just a thought.

Declan
Old Oct 9, 2002, 8:27 AM   #5

Others have posed the same idea. The problem is, there is no accurate way to detect a unique CD, or any removeable media for that matter. The use of volume labels or other identifiers cannot guarantee that you will be able to distinguish the difference between a file named IMG0001.JPG on one CD from another that has the same file.

The filter files really belong with the images themselves because they are "extensions" of the original file. It simplifies the process of managing the filter files (both inside and outside of Qimage Pro).
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 8:44 AM   #6

Since we are talking about a non writable media (a closed CD-R), how about making the filters temporary, just for the current session, or allowing the user to specify the life of the filter.

Declan
Old Oct 10, 2002, 2:26 AM   #7

Default Full Page Option

Mike
Thanks for the info about choosing full page to get the picture to print as large as posible on one page. That is what I was trying to do. I did not realize that I should have typed in a value abot 1/2 smaller than the paper size to allow for the fact that the printer cant go right to the edge. DUH, I should have realized that...
tech type is offline   Reply With Quote