Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:53 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm a recent convert to Qimage, and it seems to be a wonderful program, however the soft-proofing feature is producing images that are different than those in Photoshop Elements 2.0 and Costco using Dry Creek Photo's printer profile.

To step back a little, using XP I've calibrated my Dell 1800FP LCD monitor with Pantone's Colorvision package. My images have been taken in mode II (RGB) from a Nikon camera in PSElements 2.0. I view them in PSElements 2.0 in Full Color Managment mode (also RGB). In Qimage, the monitor ICC is set to my Color Plus profile, the printer profile is set to Dry Creek photo's Costco glossy paper profile for the Noritsu 3101 printer.

If I soft-proof an RGB image from the thumbnail window in Qimage, the image is generally much more saturated and yellow than the same image printed from Costco (where the Costco file has had the printer profile embedded by either converting or printing to a file - both methods seem to produce the same result). In addition, the same Costco file created in Qimage, and then viewed in PSElements, looks different than both the Costco print and Qimage's softproof, although much closer to the print. Generally the PSElements image is a little flatter, tonal-wise than the Costco print, and less saturated than Qimage's soft-proofed image.

In Qimage's Color Management window I have "Embed ICC profiles..." checked and I've tried both absolute and relative colorimetric conversion/saving files, always with black pt on.

I realize Qimage is just one contributing element here, but is there something different I can do to try and bring the three outputs (Qimage, PSElements and Costco print) closer together?

Thanks in advance,

Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2

Sometimes it's hard to tell without being there to see all of the elements and the exact workflow, but I suspect the difference you are seeing is due to the fact that you are taking a file printed (to file) in Qimage and trying to soft proof that in Elements. If you soft proof the original image before it has been printed in both Qimage and PSE, those soft proofs will be the same. If they are not, either you are using different profiles, different settings, or at least one of the profiles is corrupted. You can't use Qimage to print to file, embedding the printer profile, and then soft proof it because you've changed the input profile.

Also, I believe Costco recommends not embedding the profile, so in Qimage, you might want to use "Settings", "Color Management" and uncheck "embed profiles...".

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:48 AM   #3

Quote:
If you soft proof the original image before it has been printed in both Qimage and PSE, those soft proofs will be the same.
If I soft-proof an original image in Qimage using my monitor's Color Plus profile, and sRGB, the image will indeed be the same as when viewing a Qimage converted file in PSE. However that same file, when printed by Costco (my understanding is that they work by default in the sRGB space) is different.

However if I soft-proof an original image in Qimage using my monitor's Color Plus profile, and Costco's printer profile, the image is significantly different than one converted, and then printed from Costco. The original file soft-proofed in Qimage is also very different than a file that has had Costco's profile embedded or converted via Qimage, then viewed in PSE. Possibly our Costco printer has changed since Dry Creek profiled their printer? And possibly PSE can not properly soft-proof a non-native profile such as Costco's?

Quote:
Also, I believe Costco recommends not embedding the profile, so in Qimage, you might want to use "Settings", "Color Management" and uncheck "embed profiles...".
Yes, that's what Dry Creek Photo recommends. Please correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I've found that the only difference in prints from Costco between converting the image (by right-clicking the original and performing a profile-to-profile conversion) and embedding the profile (by saving it with "embed profiles..." checked), is the sharpness that your software automatically performs. By the way, when you choose "Print to File" is there a way to change the automatic sharpening when you then choose "Printer-use printer ICC and print sharpening"? The color/tone/contrast between the two methods is the same.

If there's something I could be doing wrong, or if there's a benchmark test I could try, please let me know. I realize this is a bit of a shot in the dark for you Mike, without being able to see my computer. But I appreciate the support and your wonderful program, which I am still getting up-to-speed on regarding its capabilities. For now I've been converting or embedding a profile using perceptual, relative and absolute methods, having all three printed out at Costco, and then choosing one that is the closest match to the original.

Regards,

Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote