Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:09 AM   #1

When I follow the instructions to "print to file", I get the box to set the ppi and print size,I set the print size to 11x14. Ihave tried to set the ppi to 222 ,but the print stays very small in the view and indeed,when i save it to a folder,it is stiil small. When I perform the resize action in P.S., it goes right to a 11x14 size with the ppi of 222 which I have set it at. What am I doing wrong ? I just want to resize my 8 mp image to a 11x14 to print at Costco, but with no success. thanks
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:41 PM   #2

First, I would have to ask why 222 PPI? Most Costco printers print at either 300 or 320 PPI so I would think that you'd want to set the PPI to one of those values. Second, as to the size, what size are you selecting when you add the print to the queue? If you've created an 11x14 page in the print-to-file setup, just highlight a thumbnail and then click the "custom" button under the print sizes and then select "fit to page". That'll give you an 11x14.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:01 PM   #3

Hi, I did get the image to 11x14 at 300 ppi per your instructions. The reason that I set the image at 222 ppi was so that I did not have to resample, as I read somewhere that resampling degrades the image. Did the Qimage resample,and if so does it degrade the image any? Also, does the Qimage automatically apply sharpening to the image when chamging the size ?
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:32 AM   #4

Resampling doesn't really degrade the image since some form of resampling is going on no matter what you do. If your original was at 222 PPI and the Costco printer you are printing to is 300 PPI, somewhere along the line something had to resample it from 222 to 300, otherwise it could never be printed on that printer. What you are doing with Qimage is resampling to the native resolution of the printer using software that can perform very high quality resampling. If you pass a 222 PPI image to Costco, there's no telling what resampling methods they (or their print driver) might do to get it to the 300 PPI needed by the printer. If you do it up front and Costco sees a 300 PPI image, you've taken control of the interpolation and taken it out of the hands of the Costco equipment.

Also, when you print to file in Qimage, all of the printing features are available to you. If you have "final print sharpening" turned on under "Prints", "Print Interpolation" then yes, there is some sharpening done. If you turn it off... no.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote