Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Feb 6, 2005, 7:56 PM   #1

Went ot the Vallejo CA Costco today to get some prints done and aske dabout the ppi of the printer . They are now using a Noritsu 2901 printer with a ppi of 400. I asked and couple of diferent operators and they confirmed it. Anyone heard anything more on this?
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2

Sorry, I found the answer .Should have duga little deeper before posting.

Anyway,here is the data for three types of printers at Sams Club and Costco:

Frontiers Printer== 300 ppi

Noritsu printer Model 3101= 320ppi

Noritau printer model 2901=400 ppi

So, it would seem that pictures resampled at 300 ppi and send to a Costco 400 ppi printer would have to be re-resampled to come out at 400 ppi and might lose some crispness.

If you don't know the labs printers native ppi ,it might be better to just give the picture to them in the orignal ppi and let them do the resampleing,that way it would only be resampled once and might come out a better print.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:02 AM   #3

Thanks. That's good info. Was there any indication that various Costcos might be able to tell you which printer your images will be printed on? I guess what I'm asking is: do you think they have one of the listed printers at each location or do you think that at least some Costcos use two or possibly all three and in that case, you may not know which one they are going to use for your photos? That could be important because if they have two or three of the ones you listed and they use them together, you are probably right that you might be better off to just pass them the original without resampling if they won't let you specify which one.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:47 AM   #4

Just watch for water with Costo prints, as I discovered:!:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:15 PM   #5

If you go to this site:http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontier/index.html, and click on the left side for the state or country that you are interested in it will show you the printer type and paper type and location of the Costco. It was accurate for the two Costcos that we frequent. So much to learn ,my head hurts already!!

mchaney: edited to fix the URL