Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:30 PM   #1

Ok, I used to have all my photos organized in separate folders for each month. This made it easy to print in Qimage - I would just select the month containing the photo I wanted to print.

However, I just moved all my photo files to a new drive and placed them all into one folder labeled "photos", and there are over 6,000 photos in there. Now, not only can't I find the thumbnail of the photo I want to print easily, but each time I close and reopen Qimage it seems to rebuild the thumbnails, and it takes forever.

I am using Photoshop Elements 3.0 as my organizer, which doesn't care whether my photos are in separate folders by month, or whether they are all in one big folder, so I didn't think about the ramifications with Qimage when I did this.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this? I don't care about renaming my files - if it would help to do so somehow I would do it. Maybe I will just have to create new folders on my new drive and separate them all again - what a pain!

Is there a way to make Qimage save the thumbnails so when I open the program they load immediately?

Thanks!

Peter
peterm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

OK, I figured out that moving files into monthly folders is pretty painless with PS Elements, so that's what I am going to do.

Thanks,

Peter
peterm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:54 AM   #3

Glad you solved it. FYI, Qimage probably was not rebuilding thumbnails every time you entered that folder. It was probably just continuing to build the thumbs that it hadn't built yet the last time you exited. When you went back into Qimage, it was just picking up where it left off building thumbs it hadn't processed previously. If you left it alone in that folder for a while and walked away, it would finish building the thumbs and there would no longer be a delay the next time you enter the folder.

Whenever you have a folder with thousands of [large] photos, Qimage will be a bit sluggish until it finishes building the thumbs but after it builds them once, it'll load them nearly instantaneously when you enter that folder.

Mike
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote