Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1

Hi,
I want to purchase Canon or Epson wide format printer (44") and it is not clear if I will need to buy RIP for printing photos and fine art (no letters) or I can get by using Qimage...

Can Qimage handle large prints ~ 44"x48" ?

What is the difference between Qimage & RIP software?

thank you
GeorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:03 PM   #2

Qimage can perform tasks similar to a RIP, but it uses the standard Windows print driver instead of having its own raster driver. Qimage excels at printing very large prints and many people use Qimage on wide format printers for that purpose. I've actually heard from a lot of people using the Epson 7600 and 9600 printers who say that they've tried RIPs costing thousands of dollars and end up using Qimage instead. About the only thing that a RIP can do better is B/W printing since it can bypass the driver and avoid certain ink colors that can cause metamerism. Other than that, try the demo, you might be surprised what Qimage can do for your large format printer without having to spend half the cost of your printer on a RIP.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:36 PM   #3

If you are looking at 44-inch make sure you look at the new epson 9800 not the older 9600. It has the new 8 color UltrachromeK3 inkset with 3 blacks.
I have not seen any Canon wide prnters, but my next choice after the new Epson would be a Roland d'Vinci Hi-Fi Jet a 54-inch 12 color printer.

And for the price Qimage can't be beat :-).
Rips for the large printers easily run in the 2-3K$ range, and almost all come with most annoying and quite often troublesome dongles.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:14 PM   #4

Thank you Mike & Peter,

I'll try Qimage.
Mike, are you planning to do anything in Qimage about this B/W color cast problem?

Peter,
Canon wide printers got very high marks in several reviews and it looks like they are even better in some ways than Epson: much faster, inks are less expensive, printer itself is more affordable + RIP is included.
Canon imagePROGRAF W6400 and W8400 Printers:
http://www.photographyblog.com/index...ers_announced/

54" Roland is way too expensive for me.

Actually, I'm looking for recommendation for high quality printing system that fine artists can purchase and use for themselves to produce prints on cavas without going broke.
Canon & Epson both look very attractive and affordable.

Now I need to figure out the best & affordable way of scanning original paintings, but this is a question for another forum .. I guess.

Thank you again.
GeorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:09 AM   #5

GeorgeS wrote:
Quote:
Mike, are you planning to do anything in Qimage about this B/W color cast problem?
No. Metamerism is a physical property of the paper and ink and it cannot be fixed with software unless that software is a RIP that bypasses the regular print driver. If the print driver offers a "blacks only" setting for printing, you shouldn't have a problem, so it depends somewhat on the print driver as to how good your B/W prints are. You can also use a profiling tool to completely eliminate color casts on B/W prints but using the regular driver, you can only do that for one light source: different light sources may have a color cast.

A cheaper route (than a traditional RIP) for B/W printing would be to use Qimage to prepare print files using the print-to-file function and then use QTR (QuadTone RIP) to send those files to the printer.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote