Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:04 PM   #1

Default ICC Color Management

Is there a way to have QImage Pro 2002 (1.2) simulate the printer in screen display of images?

I have created a color profile with Profile Prism (v3.5) for my HP Deskjet 950 series printer, and I believe I'm getting excellent results. I realize the CMYK print process used by this printer has a more limited color gamut than my monitor. When I specify a sRGB profile for my monitor and use the custom profile I created for my printer in Corel PhotoPaint, Photopaint simulates the printer when displaying my images. This printer simulation is extremely accurate. I can barely tell the difference in the on-screen display and the printed product. I expected to see the same result in QImagePro. After all, I like to see what I'm getting before it's printed; however, I can't tell any difference in the onscreen display of images in QImagePro whether I enable the printer profile or not. I realize the printer profile is used when actually printing, but shouldn't it's results be reflected onscreen as it is in Corel Photopaint?

Thanks,
-Tri
trialpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2003, 9:52 AM   #2

Not knowing the Corel products, I assume you are referring to "soft proofing" where the printer profile is "simulated" on screen. Qimage Pro does not currently support soft proofing. This simulation is only as accurate as the profile itself, so normally if you have an accurate monitor profile in place, you should get a good visual match between the screen and printer without messing with a soft proof on screen. This is true in Qimage Pro or any other ICC aware application. Even with soft proofing (if that is indeed what you are referring to), there is no way to really "simulate" how your printer is going to respond. Sometimes soft proofing works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 9:08 PM   #3

Mike,

Regarding having an accurate monitor profile -- unfortunately, I can't afford the Spyder Master Suite for color profiling my system. That's why I purchased Profile Prism, with which I have calibrated my monitor and I'm using an sRGB monitor profile.

My printer does not produce colors as vividly as those displayed on my monitor. I have to assume this is a limitation of the 4 color ink process used by my printer. Monitor colors are more vivid, richer, more saturated. If I could afford the Epson Stylus 2200, I could probably resolve that issue as well, but instead I'm using my existing HP Deskjet 950c printer and a printer profile I created with Profile Prism. Printing with the custom profile yields more natural color tones than printing without it - most significantly, by removing the magenta cast from fleshtones.

Perhaps the "Simulate Printer" process is called "soft-proofing" in other software, but unfortunately I'm not a Photo$hop user either. You might say I'm shooting for perfection on a budget, but I realize I'm using imperfect hardware in an imperfect world. All I know is when I enable my custom printer profile in Corel Photopaint, the onscreen display changes (colors toned down) and is an extremely close match to my printed output -- much closer than without the printer profile. Perhaps there is "no way to really 'simulate' how your printer is going to respond." However, while QimagePro's preview may provide a reasonably good match to the printer's output, PhotoPaint provides an EXCELLENT (almost identical) match for my printer's output.

I believe it would be helpful to consider implementing a "soft-proofing" algorithm into QImage Pro that would take into consideration the printer's profile in addition to the monitor's profile when displaying images for preview and editing in Qimage Pro. Meanwhile I will continue to make color related adjustments in Photopaint, and use Qimage Pro for print layouts and quick touch-ups when I may not want to tweak colors.

Qimage Pro is an excellent piece of software; however, on my system what I see isn't quite what I get.

Thanks,
-Tri
trialpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 9:33 PM   #4

Having recently gone through something similar myself (trynig to get prints from Wal-Mart to look like they do on my monitor), I would suggest that you go to the website of whoever made your monitor and download the color profile for that particular monitor. This made a world of difference for my setup (NEC Multi-Sync FE700 ICC profile, generic Fuji-Frontier matte crystal archive paper profile). Now it's closer to WYSIWYG than I ever expected!

Tom Sneddon
tsneddon is offline   Reply With Quote