Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:52 PM   #1

I'm trying to use Qimage to print on my new Epson 4800. I can't seem to match my prints to my computer. I can make them match if I don't use Qimage. Can anyone advise on exactly how one sets things up?

I am choosing the correct paper profile in Qimage, and I select No Color Mgmt in the Epson driver. What do I set the monitor to... my Colorvision monitor profile, or Adobe RGB? Am I supposed to select the correct paper from the Epson driver, even though I select No Color Mgmt?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Urophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:38 PM   #2

Does this help:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/May_2005.html

Also, if you have a ColorVision monitor profile, you should be using that. Never use Adobe RGB with a monitor unless it is a specialized monitor designed for Adobe RGB (almost none are).

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:27 PM   #3

Hey

I too have this problem - with my Epson 1290s set to either no colour management, ICM or Colour Settings with everything set to 0 and Qimage with monitor and printer profile for the specific paper (Epson Matte Heavyweight for example) colours are way off. I have recently started noticing this because my new stationary is a specific pantone colour.

The key seems to be that if I select relative or perceptual intent the colours are off, but selecting absolute intent will give me 100% correct colour BUT.... with whites a pale sky blue.

I have worked through all the possible combinations - anything else I can adjust ?

Before anyone says it, my screen is calibrated and I get fantastic prints using the windows picture & fax viewer - spot on colours. Wht can't I get this using Qimage. Even if I disable colour management the white comes out blue OR the colours are off.

Help !
MikeLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:24 AM   #4

To match a color exactly, you have to use absolute colorimetric. The problem here is that your paper is not white. Most papers use brighteners that make the paper itself cyan/blue. This is similar to viewing white paper under different color temperatures (incandescent versus sunlight versus fluorescent, etc.). Your eyes can adjust to the white, but the colors on the paper must be "adapted" to the white of the paper which results in an overall shift in colors. This isn't a Qimage issue: it's a color management and paper color issue.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:32 PM   #5

Many thanks Mike.

After working through this issue today I have 2 observations/questions:

I have encountered this problem because I'm working on stationary that doesn't have a background. But because this also contains photos I'd like Qimage to output it. The issue is that with Absolute intent selected the background goes cyan. But other key colours are perfect. WIth relative the background is white but other colours wrong. What I just can't understand is why WIndows viewer gets all the colours so right (but doesn't do a great job on the photos!)

Even if I add a white background to the artwork underneath all the other layers its still turned blue by Absolute.

Believe me my system setup/profiling is right. Printed some photos today on various stock using absolute and they are just perfect.

Anything else I can try ? (PS sorry if I hijacked this forum - hope it helps anyway)
Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:28 PM   #6

If your whites are printing as cyan, that's a common/normal effect with Absolute rendering intent, as the profile is trying to simulate the white point of the source space which is 'bluer' than that of the paper, so it adds cyan.

Use Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual rendering intents unless you have a very good reason not to.

A good book on colour management like Real World Color Management by Fraser et. al. will tell you the gory details about this sort of thing. It's definitely _not_ a QImage issue: I've had success with all aspects of QI colour management & see no problems there.

HTH

Alan

alanrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:36 PM   #7

MikeLambert wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks Mike.

After working through this issue today I have 2 observations/questions:

I have encountered this problem because I'm working on stationary that doesn't have a background. But because this also contains photos I'd like Qimage to output it. The issue is that with Absolute intent selected the background goes cyan. But other key colours are perfect. WIth relative the background is white but other colours wrong. What I just can't understand is why WIndows viewer gets all the colours so right (but doesn't do a great job on the photos!)

Even if I add a white background to the artwork underneath all the other layers its still turned blue by Absolute.

Believe me my system setup/profiling is right. Printed some photos today on various stock using absolute and they are just perfect.

Anything else I can try ? (PS sorry if I hijacked this forum - hope it helps anyway)
I think it is possible that there are multiple issues here. One seems to be that relative colorimetric intent may not be working as it should for you. The RC intent in the profile may not be accurate (for some colors) and that's why you see errors in the colors. You also have to be careful about how you are comparing colors. When using RC or perceptual intents, you should look at the original color, stare at it for a while, and then switch to the paper and stare at that for at least a few seconds. This gives your eyes a chance to adapt to the new illuminant of the paper. It may look a lot closer doing that. You really can't put two pieces of media side by side and view them because the papers will be a different color. Also be careful about your lighting. Take the print outside and view it in outdoor lighting to make sure that a lot of the problem you are seeing isn't coming from metamerism.

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:31 PM   #8

Thanks again Mike

After spending more time on this things are looking better - the anti-depressants must be kicking in (just kidding).

I upgraded to the latest version only last week and one thing I found it necessary to do was to refresh the link to my Adobe colour space. Once done things got a tiny bit better.

Besides staring at the colours (I can see them with my eyes closed now) I have done a lot of reading on this subject and understand the theory - but still in my case I'm struggling to understand whats happening; why I can print a photgraph from a jpg that has aRGB embedded using absolute intent and get pure 255,255,255 whites and all other colours true, but when I print another (artwork) with a pure white background (same 255,255,255) onto the SAME paper stock without changing any Qimage settings and also with aRGB embedded the white comes out cyan.

Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:12 AM   #9

MikeLambert wrote:
Quote:
but still in my case I'm struggling to understand whats happening; why I can print a photgraph from a jpg that has aRGB embedded using absolute intent and get pure 255,255,255 whites and all other colours true, but when I print another (artwork) with a pure white background (same 255,255,255) onto the SAME paper stock without changing any Qimage settings and also with aRGB embedded the white comes out cyan.

This should be impossible since color management engines don't know anything about the image: 255,255,255 should end up exactly the same color. If this is happening, the only way I can explain it would be if the Adobe RGB embedded in one image is different (incorrect). You might want to try opening the cyan image in Qimage's batch filter and using the "ICC Override" to specify the Adobe RGB color space there. Maybe there is something wrong with the aRGB color space embedded in the actual image and overriding it would fix it. My only guess.

Mike