Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Error message when using Qimage

I was using Qimage last night and I put a bunch of photos on the queue to print. As it was spooling to get ready to print, I got the following error message "An exception error occured in the imagelib dll. We recommend to exit the application and to restart it by clicking its icon." I clicked the "OK" button at the bottom of the error message and it closes the program. When I re-opened Qimage, I lost all the photos I put in the queue but I still had all my settings. This has never happened before but now it is happening every time I try to print something. Basically, I cannot print anything with this program now.

Any idea what the problem is? I am using XP. Thanks.

Ken
kyun7128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2003, 4:44 PM   #2

First, I assume that when you say "I lost all the photos I put in the queue", you didn't really mean you "lost" them, but they simply were not in the queue any more when you opened Qimage Pro after the error message occurred. That's to be expected because Qimage Pro does not remember which images you have in the queue from session to session (unless you use "File", "Save Session). Qimage Pro never opens any images for write access and cannot delete files unless you specifically tell it to delete thumbnails with a right click and a "Delete" command.

Next, the most common cause of a problem like you describe is an image that is corrupted or unreadable. Qimage Pro simply got to an image in the queue that it could not read because it was too large (possibly resampled to a ridiculous resolution), was incomplete (due to a partial download for example) or was corrupted. Qimage Pro is programmed to recognize many forms of image corruption before they can cause problems, but you simply cannot detect them all.

Some software has been known to save corrupted files and cause trouble due to the file format being incorrect. The initial release of PhotoShop 7 is the perfect example. Adobe had serious problems with their TIF saving routines and had to issue a patch. Until that patch was released, PhotoShop 7 actually saved files that did not conform to the TIFF format, i.e. they were corrupted. I've also seen scanning software and other utilities that didn't know how to save files properly also, so once you locate the file(s) that are corrupted or causing trouble, it might be a good idea to trace back and see what software saved those files because they may need to be updated/patched if they are producing "bogus" images.

Since you appear to be able to load the images into the queue before noticing any problem, one way to check to see if there are corrupted images is to perform a slide show on those images before printing them. If one of the images in the queue is corrupted, the slide show will most likely halt on the image in question and then you'll know which one is the culprit. Another way is to right click in the queue and select "Convert Images". The image conversion should stop at the corrupted image.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:48 PM   #3

Mike,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Without going into detail of what really happened on my end, I decided to just reinstall the program. Actually, I'm glad I did cause I installed the latest version and it is a lot more user friendly than the one I was using.

In case you were wondering, you were right, I did not loose the files I had in the queue...they were just removed from the queue.

I love using your program and I appreciate the personal support I get from you.

Ken
kyun7128 is offline   Reply With Quote