Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 23, 2003, 9:55 PM   #1

Default Qimage *slow* loading thumbnails

I've been using Qimage for a couple of months now and because of the image/print quality and flexability I won't use anything else. That said, I do have one complaint. Loading the thumbnails of a large directory can take several minutes! I have to wait for the hour glass to go away before I can start to work. This delay happens when I switch to a large directory, or if I start Qimage having been in a large directory the last time I used it.

When the delay happens there is not much disk usage, but the CPU usage is near 100%. I have a 1GHz clock speed, so I am suprised at the amount of computing that is going on. The only explanation I can come up with is that when entering a directory (and thumbnails are visible), every one of the associated filters is recalculated. Most of the images I have are 2560x1920 pixels, so I can imagine that calculating 30 or 40 associative filters could take a lot of computing horsepower.

If this really is what is happening, is there a way to turn this off? If not, how about calculating the associative filter with the small thumbnail image? I don't care if the thumbnail looks a little crummy, as long as I don't have to wait so long.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom Sneddon
tsneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 5:06 PM   #2

It should only be doing this once when you enter the folder. Any subsequent access to that folder should result in thumbnails loading almost instantly because it will pick up the last build of the thumbs.

If that is not what is happening (if it keeps rebuilding them every time), there is a problem with the Qimage Pro installation. You may need to physically delete the entire "qimage" folder under "program files" and reinstall the latest version.

QP will normally build thumbs in the background at low priority so it usually doesn't cause trouble but if you have huge files, it might take some time to build the first page of thumbs. Again though, this should only happen once per folder.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaney
If that is not what is happening (if it keeps rebuilding them every time), there is a problem with the Qimage Pro installation. You may need to physically delete the entire "qimage" folder under "program files" and reinstall the latest version.
Thanks, I'll give this a try.

-Tom
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:50 PM   #4

Quote:
You may need to physically delete the entire "qimage" folder under "program files"
Done.
Quote:
and reinstall the latest version.
Done.

Wow, what a difference! Creating 344 thumbnails with 34 associative filters took quite a while, but restarting Qimage after thumbnails were cached took only 15 seconds.

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice.

P.S.
I was previously using qp03-103.exe, now I have qp03-121.exe.

-Tom Sneddon