Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1

I use a Canon i960 which shows a print preview as the last step before printing. This print preview accurately shows the colors to expect from the printer, especially skin tones. Unfortunately, the Soft Proof view in Qimage never agrees with the print preview colors and can't be relied upon.

This disparity occurs when I use a Canon paper profile in Qimage. While I don't have my monitor professionally calibrated, I have it set pretty accurately with Easy RGB PC, which, as I said, renders the Canon print preview pretty accurately.

If the Canon print preview can get the colors right, why can't Soft Proof get them right also?

Bruce
jbruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:57 PM   #2

The Canon print preview is the problem here, not the Qimage soft proof. Print previews should never be relied upon for judging color, especially when you are using an ICC profile. When you use a profile, the print preview shows you the raw data that has been profiled for your printer dumped onto the monitor. Looking at raw data profiled for a printer and dumped onto the monitor will always be misleading and inaccurate. If you want to see what a print will look like, you need to print. There is no substitute. Too many people get stuck where you are and never even try to print the actual print and look at it. That is a mistake, as even soft proofing has its limitations.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:57 PM   #3

Sorry Mike, I guess i wasn't clear in my original message. I DO print the shot, and the print comes out looking like the Canon print preview, not the Qimage soft proof. I want it to come out like the soft proof, especially the skin tones.

Bruce
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:04 PM   #4

jbruceb wrote:
Quote:
Sorry Mike, I guess i wasn't clear in my original message. I DO print the shot, and the print comes out looking like the Canon print preview, not the Qimage soft proof. I want it to come out like the soft proof, especially the skin tones.

Bruce
Then there is a dis-link between your profile settings and your print driver settings. It sounds like your print driver settings are not set properly for the profile you are using. Where did you get the printer profile you are using? Also, have you read my latest article on Soft Proofing here at Steve's on Tech Corner? That article describes what is necessary to get soft proofing to work properly. It sounds like there are some kinks in your color management setup.

Mike
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:28 PM   #5

The printer profile I am using came from Canonwith the printer and is for Photo Paper Plus Glossy. I have the printer setup with Print Quality set at High; Color Adjust. Manual;ICM unchecked; Print Type Photo; and Brightness Normal. The proper paper and paper size is selected. In Qimage, I choose the correct paper profile, Relative Colormetric, and BPC.

The Qimage soft proof will look great, but the Canon print preview makes skin tones look red or red-purple. Unfortunately, the print comes out like the Canon print preview. The only way I can get acceptable results is by not using any profile in Qimage, and fooling with the printer settings. Keep in mind that through all of this, the Canon print preview, as seen on my monitor, is dead accurate as far as the colors seen on the print.

I have read both your paper on the i960 setup and the recent paper on soft proofing, but i haven't found a solution yet.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:57 PM   #6

It's hard to set the Canon Print Driver correctly. Try:

PrintQuality>Halftoning>Diffusion

Color Adjustment>Print Type>None

The driver drove me crazy. Now all is perfect with Qimage, i9900, WeInk.

Wil
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:33 PM   #7

Mike:

Would love to read the article on Soft Proofing but can't seem to locate it Any chance you could direct me to it?
Merrill
msmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:35 PM   #8

Here's a link to all of my articles here at Steve's:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/tc_index.html

Mike
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:16 PM   #9

Thank you so much. I am a Qimage owner and without using the bells and whistles I am extremely happy with the prints I am getting.

Merrill
msmack is offline   Reply With Quote