Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1

Default resizing

I need to know what would be the largest size I could print from Qimage with a resolution of 678x985 and 847x1000.
teppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2003, 8:18 AM   #2

First, let me start by saying there is no limit. You could print a 6 foot tall poster from those images if you want, however, print quality will suffer when printing very large prints. I assume your question relates to how large you can print those images and still achieve photo quality prints. Most people use the rule of thumb that you need about 300 PPI to get true photo quality. That would mean:

678x985: 2.26 x 3.28 inches
847x1000: 2.82 x 3.33 inches

There's more to the story though. With the high quality resampling algorithms in Qimage, you can usually get very good prints with only about 120 PPI available. Depending on the type of image, the subject, and the intended sharpness, most of the time you can create prints that pass for "normal" photos with only 120 PPI available from the original image. That would give you:

678x985: 5.65 x 8.21 inches
847x1000: 7.06 x 8.33 inches

Keep in mind that a lot depends on the image itself. Soft images like diffused portraits can handle a lot of upsampling while very detailed images like landscapes with trees degrade faster and often cannot be blown up as much.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote