Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:59 PM   #1

Hi All -

I have posted this on the yahoo qimage newsgroup, but have had no responses... maybe someone here can help.

Original post: "I am about to purchase an Epson 4800. I am debating on whether or not to purchase the model with the Colorburst RIP. I have been using qimage successfully for years. Will the print quality improve if I use a RIP instead of Qimage? (Printing speed isn't an issue, only print quality, both B&W and color).
Thanks!!

--
Gary Shepard
Foreside PhotoGraphics
Maine, USA
earlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:51 PM   #2

Print quality generally only improves with RIPs in the B/W department. RIPs can control each individual color so they can avoid inks that cause metamerism, creating better B/W prints. I think you'll probably get more neutral B/W prints from a RIP but your color prints may not be quite as good as Qimage and you won't have the Qimage printing features that make life easier. For most people, I only recommend RIP printing if you are a die hard B/W finatic.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:37 PM   #3

I am just trying out the software now. And I read on this site about RIPs for those who do mostly b&w. What are RIPs? Thanks.
sanhodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4

sanhodo wrote:
Quote:
I am just trying out the software now. And I read on this site about RIPs for those who do mostly b&w. What are RIPs? Thanks.
Raster Image Processors: they bypass the normal Windows print drivers entirely so that the printer can be driven directly with specialized software. Most RIPs cost $1000 - $2000 and are intended for special needs such as printing with only one color ink, printing B/W photos, etc.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 1:24 PM   #5

Thanks Mike.
sanhodo is offline   Reply With Quote