Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Nov 18, 2005, 2:36 PM   #1

My wife and I share a computer running XP, and have separate XP user accounts on it. Qimage works fine under my account, but when my wife tries to run it, Qimage will not run. It outputs an error message about being unable to write a file, and exits.

Her account does not have administrative rights, and this is probably causing the exception, since it appears that Qimage is trying to write something into a system file area when it starts up. This is not very Windows compliant. Is there a way around this?

Our workflow:

We shoot photos; I download and photoshop; she prints.

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:09 PM   #2

It's not really a Windows compliance issue. Qimage writes temporary files in the folder where it is installed (for example \program files\qimage and subfolders within). This is pretty common for Windows software. If you get an error message about not being able to write to a file, it should tell you the location where it is trying to write. Just make sure she has write access to the indicated folder(s) or reinstall in a common place where both of you have write permission.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:03 PM   #3

Yes, Qimage is trying to write something in its installed folder, c:\Program Files\Qimage\, when it starts up. A user without administrative privileges is not permitted to write files in this folder.

When I referred to Windows compliance, I meant the standard conventions that nearly all recent Windows programs follow, such as installing themselves into the Program Files directory, and using user-unique locations to store preferences, etc. Administrator privileges should not be required to run programs properly installed in Windows' normal program folder.

I guess the only workaround here is to reinstall Qimage into a non-standard shared directory. Not very clean, but doable.

Thanks.

--M
mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:58 AM   #4

If you install Qimage from the user account in question, it should be able to write to the \program files\qimage folder: otherwise the user would never be able to install it in the first place. Also, many programs use the install folder (or a folder under the install folder) for things like plugins and caching. This is certainly nothing new or "non-standard". I think the problem you may be running into is installing it on one account and then trying to use it from a different account. Qimage is designed to be installed for a particular user, not all users at once.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote