Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:49 PM   #1

I've used QIP (v2005.313) with some success before but now find, with some images where I've chosen the tones very carefully, that I have a problem with the way that 'smart' sharpening appears to darkens prints, whereas 'normal' sharpening doesn't. This is not a profile related issue BTW but purely related to the sharpening method.

Is the increase in contrast that I see (with consequent darkening of some prints) an unavoidable effect of using smart sharpening? Is related to a known problem?

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan

alanrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:40 PM   #2

First, I would suggest upgrading to the latest version just in case there was a fix that affects what you are seeing. The smart sharpening doesn't affect overall color: all it is going to do is darken/lighten edge detail. Overall, the picture will have the same brightness. What you might be seeing is the contrast enhancing effect of sharpening if you are concentrating on an area with a lot of edges or a lot of fine "noise-like" detail like detail present in bricks, a driveway, sand on a beach, etc.. I've never heard of anyone claiming that smart sharpening makes prints darker.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:18 AM   #3

mchaney wrote:
Quote:
First, I would suggest upgrading to the latest version just in case there was a fix that affects what you are seeing. The smart sharpening doesn't affect overall color: all it is going to do is darken/lighten edge detail. Overall, the picture will have the same brightness. What you might be seeing is the contrast enhancing effect of sharpening if you are concentrating on an area with a lot of edges or a lot of fine "noise-like" detail like detail present in bricks, a driveway, sand on a beach, etc.. I've never heard of anyone claiming that smart sharpening makes prints darker.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
Thanks for your quick response, Mike.

I'll download the latest version & see if it's any different.

If that doesn't help, I'll get some more diagnostics for you. e.g. I could do 'print to file' for each of the 2 different cases, then send them to you maybe? I'm sure if you saw an example it would be easier to diagnose what's going on.

The version I'm using definitely making the tones darker in significant-sized areas. The overall mood/appearance of the images can be changed quite significantly. From what you say, I may be the first person to notice this effect. Yes, the problem images do have lots of detail, but that's why sharpening is important to me, & I spend lots of time looking for the best tools for the job!

Regards

Alan
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:07 PM   #4

I've now tried the latest download (2006.200) and see the same effect. To save paper & ink I've used the print to file method for normal & smart sharpening, & turned off the 'prtr ICC' option.

Quote:
What you might be seeing is the contrast enhancing effect of sharpening if you are concentrating on an area with a lot of edges or a lot of fine "noise-like" detail like detail present in bricks, a driveway, sand on a beach, etc
Probably yes, because the shots I have problems with are of textured rocks with cracks in as well as dark areas, and beaches with pebbles on.

From what you're saying, I'll need to use 'normal' sharpening for these subjects, which is a shame. I'm tempted to say that 'smart' sharpening isn't quite smart enough for these images (sorry :-)). The overall effect looks as if a gentle 'S' curve has been applied in Photoshop to increase the contrast. It's subtle, but my perception of this effect on images that I'm familiar with is very clear. The problem I have is that I want the tones preserved 'as is'. No other sharpening algorithms I've tried in the past (& I've tried a lot) have had this effect.

If you would like a sample image for 'research' purposes, please let me know.

Regards

Alan