Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:37 AM   #11

Good morning,

What were the other sites where you saw the 96" info?

And to try the 96" print, without wasting the whole amount of paper, perhaps you could start the print and then hit cancel after about a foot of it goes through.

Len
lenslens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:24 AM   #12

The pro printer forum at InkjetArt is where I saw the 96 inch limit. I don't know it what I learned with my 1280 would apply, but with that printer, I didn't find out that it wouldn't print longer than 44 inches until it got to the end of 44 inches and stopped printing, leaving the rest in the bit bucket.
ednaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:03 PM   #13

I tried printing an image 8"x98" in Photoshop CS on my Epson 4000. A program error message popped up not allowing the print processto begin. A little research for similar problems brought me to your site. After downloading and installing qimage pro, the print was madeflawlessly. Thanks for putting me on the right track.
Gloryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:13 PM   #14

You're very welcome. I've sold a lot of qimage lately with my NY panoramas - I showed them to a support group of professional photogs I belong to, and I think a bunch of them went out and got it. What had kept them from doing big panos for their personal work was the choice between buying a RIP or keeping the image below 44inches.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:49 AM   #15

Hi All,

I've been in touch with Mike Chaney of Qimage about the problems I've had printing large files. He's been very generous in taking the time to respond. I'm posting this with his permission. Here are his responses:
(The first part was written last week. The second part was written today 8Feb06.

> With a starting file size of 800MB, it is unlikely that Qimage will be able to > load the image and do all the operations it needs for printing as it is > limited to 2GB memory space by Windows.The easiest solution here is > to split the original file into two parts.For example, use your photo editor > and crop out the left and right halves and save them to different files: > left.tif and right.tif.Both of those files should be about 400MB and > Qimage should be able to handle those with no problem.Then set the > page length in your print driver so that it is exactly 1/2 of the total length > you want and print with Qimage set to something like "Compact" > placement mode.If your print driver is set to "banner" mode where it > doesn't insert spaces after each page, the two images should print > continuously with no breaks.The key here is to print the two images so > that there is no "extra" space on the top/bottom of the page: the image > should fill the height of the paper.That way when the printer prints in the > banner/roll mode, there is no space between the tiles."

Mike further went on to say, today, 8Feb06:

"Also note that our latest version (v2006.215) can handle TIFF images up to about 900 MB."
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:31 AM   #16

Excellent info. I've got some cheap roll paper now so I can fiddle with this. My original files are well under the size limit mentioned, but when qimage processes them, they become over the limit. I guess output file size is what's causing the problems.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:25 PM   #17

Hi
I have been reading this thread and got really excited that there might be a program to allow me to print larger than 44". Just one problem im on MAC and qimage does not have a MAC version. Does anyone know of an alternative???
jpd129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:40 PM   #18

Yes, there is, apparently a way. This is a quote from the Qimage site:
"Works with Linux/Wine and Macs running VPC" Not being familiar with Macs, I believe that means Virtual PC (a program that simulates PCs).

There is another thread going on here on Steves, simultaneously about this same issue, that is, the printing of large files.

This link will get you there.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...542497#p542497
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:23 PM   #19

As all my friends at work are telling me 150 times a day, buy a new intel mac, put your print stuff under windoze and your editing under OSX and life will be wonderful.

Sigh.

That assumes that you can make a Mac do ANYTHING, which I can't.

It's no problem to go past 44" with qimage. However, I've had a complete nightmare getting top to bottom spacing right. Forget end to end, papercutters can solve that, but qimage is resolute, no matter what I do, at putting images a quarter inch from the bottom of the page with my Epson 4000. For me, that's an unsolvable problem and a costly one, since I have 20 panoramas of night urban landscapes that are 15 feet in length and 16 inches tall. I'm currently selling off gear on eBay to buy a regular RIP, which is completely useless to me other than for these images.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:43 PM   #20

I've been having a similar problem with the borders on the Epson 7800 (and had the same problem with the 4000 when I had it.

I just called Epson (about the 7800). Although their instruction book for the 7800 states that there is a cure for this in the settings, turns out, they said, that the adjustment is only available in Mac OS.

They went on to say that the problem is that the end paper retaining pieces should be flush with the paper. I can't get mine to be flush. Don't want to break it, as they look a bit fragile, and pushed as hard as I feel comfortable doing. But there is still a gap between the holder piece on the left and the paper itself.

I'm thinking the problem might be solved by causing the entire paper assembly to be forced to the left. This might be accomplished by adhering a nylon washer to the nylon end on the right side of the spindle, thereby forcing the entire assembly to the left. Could be cheaper than a rip, which, seems, as the name states, to be a rip!

Len