Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Dec 25, 2005, 2:57 PM   #1

I have qimage pro, and have a panorama that is 13x144 inches. I printed it a few weeks ago on my Epson 4000 to check the image for integrity at the joins, etc, and it printed fine. Beautifully, in fact. However, it wasn't vertically centered on the 17 inch tall page.

So, now I'm trying to re-print the image - no changes, just trying to print it centered. The first attempt didn't center vertically. So I cancelled the print, closed everything out, and then re-created the job, and selected the "center" option under the Edit Page screen. It's curious - the center screen is giving me 6.5 on each side of what is a 13 inch high image, printing on 17 inch roll paper, with a total length of 150 inches (to allow for borders.) Paper size is set to 17x44, which is the largest according to Epson Pro; I'm showing 4 pages.

Worse yet, it won't even print. The print spool file shows that it's about 197mb in size at 230ppi. My Windoze computer has 50 gig open and available on the spool drive, and a gig of memory. (The original tif file is 320gb in size at 240dpi, so I can't figure out what's going on here.) Job options are high/high/vector/5. When I print, it starts to load the file, then gives me an "out of system resources" error. Very odd, since I printed the exact same file two weeks ago, albeit not centered. I have two images of the same size I need to print (one shot in the daylight, one at night) and both images are giving me the same problems. I have to use TIF because qimage won't recognize the large file psb format which Photoshop requires.

Last time I printed was with a version of qimage that got updated when I started qimage today.

I would prefer higher quality settings but any increases in the job option quality settings takes the file to 790mb; I assumed that perhaps 790mb was pushing the system too hard, but even at the lower settings it won't print.

Help! The backing boards and frames are being built (so I'm locked in to a 17 inch paper height and 150 inch length), and I'm supposed to arrive at the university gallery in Indiana on the 29th with these images.

By way of reference, here's a VERY shrunken version of one of the images - I absolutely loved how qimage sharpened it up. I'd print it at 17 inches tall if I could...the pixels are there in the orignal to do it.
Attached Images

ednaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:01 PM   #2

Technically it should work, so I don't know what changed that would stop it from being able to print. Is "Enable Advanced Printing Features" unchecked in your printer properties? Are you running any new software/utilities that you weren't running the last time you printed? I assume you are running Windows XP?

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:02 AM   #3

Mike - Sorry, I was away delivering prints for the show.

No other utilities or anything running. In fact, I shut down everything that had been running before (most of which were things like virus protection and my network connection.) Yes, I'm running Winows XP. Advanced printer properties is not checked, which is always the state. The qimage update went from a version with a 6 at the end to a version with an 8. Is the newest version larger?

It seems that qimage doesn't like the file sizes in mb. Because I had to get prints to the gallery, I downsized the image from 240dpi to 180dpi, which took the input file size down, and everything printed. Since all the spooling and such is virtual, I can't figure why that would make a huge difference. When I try to print the file with everything in qimage set to the defaults and my normal 240dpi input file, it shows 230dpi for the file; when I downrez the file to 180dpi, it shows 180dpi.

If I try to print the 240dpi file, qimage blows up after about 15 seconds or so of loading with an error message; the print spooler hangs, and the only way to get it to stop being hung is to both cancel the image in the spooler, and shut down qimage. To see what would happen, I added a white border around the 240dpi file to increase file size, and to try to get accurate and consistent centering. Then, I got an "unable to load" message instantly, as I did when I had interpolation set higher than the default. (Setting both interp settings to max produced a 400mb file to be processed, but those never even begin loading.)

Is it possible to stop qimage from doing any interpolation exercises at all, just sharpening and managing the print process? At the original file size, I have detail to spare, since I downsized the original file to get it into a 13 inch image height. In the case of this print, if all qimage does is make it possible to print the 144 inches length, I'm happy.

Because of the unusual size and detail, I've got a couple other galleries that want to show the series, so I've got to solve this somehow.

Thanks, Mike.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:42 PM   #4

Hi Mike,

I'm having what sounds like a related problem. I've assembled a huge tiff image (750 megs, 16"x177"). CS2 wouldn't allow me to print (print commands grayed out). So I downloaded QImage Pro (at suggestion of someone at Epson), with the hopes that this would allow me to accomplish the print.

But, no go. QImage brings the files up in the dialogue box as "image read error."

Have you been able to solve the issue?

I'm using Windows XP SP2. File created from 22 hi-rez files from Canon 1DS MKII.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Len
lenslens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:01 PM   #5

The only solution I've come up with, since I had a deadline and had to provide an image for a show, was to down-res the file to 180dpi to get a smaller file size, and then qimage had no problems. The "can not load" seems to happen with any file that gets up above 200mb. Files smaller than that will start to load, and then blow up with an "out of resources" error.

I gave up a bit of detail, which is a shame, but the result was impressive enough for now. Unfortunately, I have another gallery that wants the same images but got all standoffish when I explained the downres, even though you have to be really, really looking for it to notice a difference. I may have to suck it up and buy a RIP - I've been trying to break into this gallery for two years, and don't want to lose this.

Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:04 PM   #6

Hi, and thanx for the update.

I figured you had done something with the gallery show looming.

I'll try taking the resolution down incrementally, but, as you, do it only with reluctance. The whole point of doing these hi rez things is for the quality. If we have to rez them down, what's the point!?

How much memory do you have in your system, and are you PC or Mac based?

I've got a PC with 2 gigs on board, and it is a computer that I only use for imaging, so the resources are not shared, other than by the Window OS.

The actual saved file size is 750 megs (flattened). I tried opening the file in Corel Painter IX, and it said insuffiecient resources. I don't understand that, as I figured the 2 gigs should cover a 750 meg file, and with a scratch disk, certainly....

This problem surprises me. I used to think the big problem was going to be the stitching, but that turned out to be the easy part.

If I come up with any other solutions, I'll keep you posted.

Len
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:41 PM   #7

I have 1gb of RAM, Windoze system. I also offloaded everything in memory except for the vital system utilities, and it didn't change the file size sensitivity of qimage, so I'm not sure it's a RAM problem.

Some of the photoshop work I do consists of really large composites, and I haven't had any problem with creation or printing from photoshop. I guess I should take one of the huge composites and try printing from qimage to see if it's just plain file size, or if it has something to do with panos.

I hope we can figure this out.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:52 PM   #8

Hi--I found that the problem with printing large prints is not exclusive to Qimage, but with CS2 also. That was my reason for trying Qimage in the first place. I couldn't get CS2 to print (print commands grayed out), when my 14' print was over 180 dpi.

Tonight, I made a 14' print (Epson 4000), and it's quite obvious (to me, anyway), that the higher resolution would produce a much nicer print. At one point, I cropped and printed a 2 foot section of this at full rez and it does look better. No surprise there.

So, the quest continues. Can't justify buying a rip program at this point.

Len
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:00 PM   #9

Ednaz--Hi again, (should I assume your name is Ed?)

I reread your first post, and in there you refer to 17x44 as the largest size according to Epson Pro. What needs to be done is to put in the dimensions you want under the heading of "user define" and then save it with a file name appropriate to the size. I now have a paper size of 16"x167".

Len
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:29 AM   #10

I understand that part about putting the target paper size in the program - my paper size for the print is 17x150, which is handled by qimage. Epson's native drivers for windoze, though, only go to 44 inches, according to Epson. Qimage dutifully creates 4 17x44 "pages" which it then prints to the 17x150 print size. But it only dutifully creates those pages if I use 180dpi.

A couple people on another printing forum have said that they've printed up to 96 inches from photoshop with Epson's drivers, no RIP or qimage involved. As much as I think I'd like to test that, it'd involve flushing $20 worth of paper to test a size that at the moment I don't need.