Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:24 PM   #1

Default ICC Profile download for Canon i850

Hi:

Is there somewhere to download ICC profiles for a Canon i850 printer?

I'm using RedRiver paper if that makes any difference.

TIA
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:22 AM   #2

I don't know of any sites specifically for that printer, but maybe some of the S900/S9000 profiles at this site would be close:

http://www.wandb.com/icc.htm
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:16 AM   #3

I asked Canon Tech Support and they said there isnt any, and that the I950 uses the windows generic icc profile ???

Alex
adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 5:11 PM   #4

if you want to have a very good profile for this printer, specific for color or black and white prints, try here:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/christophe.m...e/profile.html

christophe metairie
christophe metairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 10:08 AM   #5

There are basically three routes to take with respect to obtaining profiles for your printer, ink, and paper. The first is to purchase a profiling tool. These can range from $79 for our own Profile Prism (http://www.ddisoftware.com/prism) up to well over $1000 for tools that use a spectrophotometer. The cheaper tools are scanner based and often require some "tweaking" to get good results but with a little "fuss" can produce profiles nearly as good as the very expensive spectro-based profilers. The advantage to the do-it-yourself tools is that you pay once and can keep reprofiling when the paper or ink changes or your printer needs a "recalibration" over time. There is also a sense of satisfaction and a greater sense of "knowledge" on what is going on in the profiling process so many people prefer this do-it-yourself method.

The second way to obtain profiles for your printer is to go with pre-made profiles that were designed for your printer model, ink, and paper. Some (relatively poor quality in my opinion) can be found at places like inkjetmall, but we also offer some premade, pretested profiles at http://www.ddisoftware.com/printerprofiles. The advantage here is that you can get the profiles right away via email without any printing of targets, mailing, and waiting. The down side is that while these profiles can help you get good color, they are the least accurate because they are based on a printer model line (not your specific printer) and changes in ink and paper formulations cannot be taken into account, nor can changes to the print driver.

The third option is to have someone make a profile for you based on you printing a target, mailing it to them, and waiting for them to create a profile based on the print you send in. These tend to be the most accurate but (IMO) only marginally more accurate than a good scanner based profiling tool like Profile Prism used with a good quality scanner. The down side is the wait, and the fact that you pay on a per-profile basis so if your ink, paper, or printer/driver changes, you have to pay again for a new profile and each profile will cost you a set amount of money so you could pay a lot if you often use numerous types of paper. I don't know Christophe who has been posting here, but if you want to go this route, http://www.cathysprofiles.com is a reputable and well known U.S. based outfit and I would recommend them as they provide good service and support and can be found in many of the online forums with quite a large following of satisfied customers. They are cheaper than the French based web site as well since $40 Euro is more than the $40 U.S. that Cathy charges.

Just some info for you...

Mike
Old May 29, 2004, 4:16 AM   #6

mike chaney and cathy slepped together ? or maybe it's only us vs france ??:P

what i can say is for 40euros, i'll make you 4 color profiles ( for different light conditions ) or 5 black and white dedicated profiles ( neutral and from cold to warm ), i think it's a better deal than only "one" profile for 40$, no ??

christophe metairie.
Old May 29, 2004, 4:34 PM   #7

christophe metairie wrote:
Quote:
what i can say is for 40euros, i'll make you 4 color profiles ( for different light conditions ) or 5 black and white dedicated profiles ( neutral and from cold to warm ), i think it's a better deal than only "one" profile for 40$, no ??
That depends. I know that Cathy has many satisfied customers who rave about her profiles and her service on many of the online forums. You on the other hand, I've never heard of. Can't speak to the quality of your profiles because I've never heard of anyone mention you or the quality of your profiles. $40 Euro is about $48.90. By the time you add the air mail shipping to France you'll be well over $50 U.S. and will still have to wait 7-10 days for the printed target to even arrive to you in France. Many people don't want to wait that long.

So I think the pertinent question here is, how good are your profiles, how long do people want to wait for them, and do people really need 4 profiles? Until you can point people to references where your work has been reviewed or at least commented upon, I think most people will see your messages here as just cheap advertisements where you sign up to a board and cross post your little "ad" on every topic with "ICC" or "profile" in the subject.

Mike
Old May 30, 2004, 7:43 AM   #8

mike,

i just made my english page, that why you never heard any happy english speaking customer, but here in france ( and even in europe ?) i'm the only one to do profiles with "amateur" friendly prices...

i made hundreds of profiles for epsons, canon, hp , even fuji frontier or dye sub printers. i'm working also with a big company called MICRO APPLICATION ( they make inkjet papers ) to do their profiles for their customers.

i'm also a photographer ( see the pictures on my web site ) thats why many people think my profiles are good, i'm not only a 'push button', many parameters in profile making require testing and "visual" right choice ( to do good BW profiles for example )

Any idea for Qimage, to ba abble to assign different profiles on the same page ?

christophe metairie.