Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Mar 13, 2003, 1:33 PM   #1

Default I950 & Borderless

I thinking about using Qimage and want to know if it will print borderless prints? Is it easy to use with the I950?
Thanks

Photo
photo1v01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:23 AM   #2

Sure. Qimage can do borderless on any printer. Just set your print driver properties for borderless mode and then use the "Custom", "Full Page" option from the "Prints" group on the Qimage main window.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 10:47 AM   #3

But.... the borderless option then gives a slider control that also has some effect on how much the 4x6 is "filled"--seems confusing.

I got one of my five test prints last night to fill the entire 4x6 paper--I'll have to check the settings you recommended...

(I'm using the i950...)
MarcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 12:26 PM   #4

The "amount of extension" slider that you are talking about just controls the amount of overspray. Since no printer can load paper exactly aligned each time, the "amount of extension" allows you to control how far beyond the edge of the page the printer will spray ink in order to compensate for the fact that your first sheet of paper may load .2 mm farther left or right than the second sheet (just an example).

If the amount of extension (on Canon's) is to the left (minimum), it will spray exactly the width of the page and will not try to go beyond the edge. In an ideal world, this would work fine, but since paper may load/feed slightly staggered to the left or right, you may end up with a sliver that is not printed on one edge or the other and a tiny amount of overspray on the opposite edge. The more you increase the emount of extension, the more it sprays *beyond* the edge of the paper and the more slack you'll have in page to page alignment/feeding.

The problem with dragging the slider farther to the right is that:

(1) The printer physically sprays ink into the ink collection sponges. These sponges can actually fill up and some Canon model printers will actually stop working once it calculates how often you use borderless and how full the sponges are. Once they are full, you'll either have to send the printer in to be serviced or do a rather complicated dance with the buttons (an undocumented sequence) to reset it and try to clean out the sponges yourself.

(2) Some of your print will get cropped off at the edges because part of your Photo is actually being sprayed onto the "overflow" sponges.

Probably more than you wanted to know... but maybe it helps?
Old May 1, 2003, 6:56 PM   #5

NO! Not too much info. Thanks!

Are you talking about sponges in the paper path? Somewhere on the platen or rollers, or whatever the printer uses?

I guess I'll experiment a bit, they recommend the position second from the right, I'll try one more over to the left to lessen overspray...

Thanks again...
MarcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 8:51 AM   #6

If you open the printer top and look down directly under where the printhead sprays, you'll see a sponge going the width of the head-path on the i950. Other printers just have sponges on the edges; it depends on the model.