Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:24 PM   #1

This problem has me flummaxed. Here is my workflow to Epson 2200 via Photoshop and Q Image:

Photos from Nikon 8800 RAW. RAW processed in Photoshop CS. Converted to tif in photoshop Adobe RGB 1998 Working Space. It appears the image is 'tagged' with Adobe RGB 1998, but I don't understand this terminology. An attempt to use an "untagged" image resulted in same result. Finish processing in PSCS. Save in tif.

Using any of these in Q--set "color management" settings with "input device unknown" (no pixel dimensions) Use recent Monaco calibration and profile for Monitor and Output print setting using Profiles from list for printer/paper (tried both Monaco profiles as well as downloaded Epson paper profiles for the 2200). These settings were reflected on main page (lower right hand corner) along with "Max/max/Pyramid5 etc" Printer settings under 2200 "Properties" include paper type and size with 1440dpi (same as profile type) with ICM and no color correction and only 'print preview' checked. Hit Print and wait for processing: result: Deep Magneta cast preview (I printed one and got an accurate Magenta print of preview)

I have reviewed in many sources (including Q manual) the correct workflow and cannot find the problem. I have also tried to print from Photoshop (not preferred since Q has given me better prints in the past) but even in photoshop I am getting strange casts usually heavy greens and yellowed.

I am stuck here

Country Doctor
Country Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2

While I can't guess at what the specific problem in this case might be, maybe my article on using profiles with Epson printers would help you find some setting that isn't right. You say you've read a lot of material, but I don't know if you read my article:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/May_2005.html

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3

Yes Mike I did read your articles and followed it exactly i believe, with a new photo from the beginning--with the same result.

Is there some setting other than failing to hit in the printer driver. the "no color correction" that can be responsible for these results. Since I am also getting a green cast in PSCS it seems it is happening there. Perhaps it is in the process of saving either i at conversion from RAW to tif or after PSCS processing?

And am I likely correct that this cast is most likely a 'double"?

STeve

mchaney wrote:
Quote:
While I can't guess at what the specific problem in this case might be, maybe my article on using profiles with Epson printers would help you find some setting that isn't right. You say you've read a lot of material, but I don't know if you read my article:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/May_2005.html

Mike
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:59 AM   #4

Mike,

I think "Country Doctor" is referring to the color of the print "preview" being incorrect, even though the print is OK, I think the problem exists in the print preview display, I have a profiled, calibrated monitor with a completely color managed workflow and every color managed app producesa correc t and consistant image, including my printer, however I have noticed if I select "Print Preview" the image isnot the correct colors (way off) even though the print shows correct colors, but this is true when I don't use Qimage as well, so I have a feeling thepreviewfunction in the driver is using some sort of oddball color management that I have yet to figure out.

K.E.N.

Edit: Country Doctor, are you getting these casts in your prints as well?
EZRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:32 PM   #5

Since I had not printed in a while (previous prints had matched the preview) I decided to take Ezra's comment to heart.

Yes, Ezra, our experiences match. Printing the awful preview did in fact create a n acceptable print. Why now and not before I remain stumped. So, I will ignore the "preview" appearance and begin printing my photos with Q again.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this issue--though surely there must be a fix somewhere. I will do some other prints to make sure it is in fact OK. Thanks again. It is a real relief.
Steve

EZRA wrote:
Quote:
Mike,

I think "Country Doctor" is referring to the color of the print "preview" being incorrect, even though the print is OK, I think the problem exists in the print preview display, I have a profiled, calibrated monitor with a completely color managed workflow and every color managed app producesa correc t and consistant image, including my printer, however I have noticed if I select "Print Preview" the image isnot the correct colors (way off) even though the print shows correct colors, but this is true when I don't use Qimage as well, so I have a feeling thepreviewfunction in the driver is using some sort of oddball color management that I have yet to figure out.

K.E.N.

Edit: Country Doctor, are you getting these casts in your prints as well?
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:33 PM   #6

There is no fix for the Epson preview being heavily magenta shifted, according to Epson. If, and only if, you're doing everything with their drivers, it won't happen that way. But even printing from Photoshop, much less Qimage, if you're having Photoshop manage color, the Epson preview is heavily magenta shifted. Both Epson and Photoshop, in this case, will tell you that, and both will tell you that is the way it is.

Someone from Adobe explained that having a paper profile causes Epson to apply the paper profile over the top of the Epson profile for the paper type selected when shooting a preview to the screen. In other words, that check box that says "don't color manage" in the Epson print info, doesn't actually work for the onscreen display. So when you select smooth fine art paper in the Epson menu, and have a profile that was made special for your Arches Infinity, the on-screen preview lays one over the other. Hence it IS double profiling to the screen. Then the computer passes the image to the printer using the paper profile that you'd selected in Qimage or Photoshop. That "don't color manage" in the printer options only works at the printer.

The only thing that's really accurate on the print preview screen from Epson's drivers is image placement on the paper. I usually have it set for print preview for the first image in a series just to be sure I have all the right boxes checked in terms of image placement, and turn it off after that.

Country Doctor wrote
ednaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:44 PM   #7

Thanks to all. Did a number of prints today and am very happy with the results
Am just ignoring the preview.

When using other than Epson papers, is it merely necessary to hit close to the paper type in the printer driver? I have not seen much on the issue. I would like to try some other papers that I have some profiles for. One source of profiles for many papers has one selecting "paper type" as 'enhanced matte' for all his profiles along with "saturation intent" I have never heard of using 'saturation intent' for Profiling except in limited situations. Comments?

Steve
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:15 PM   #8

I see that you were referring to the preview. I didn't catch that initially. I believe the problem with the Epson preview is that it simply displays the "raw" data being sent to the driver and it isn't color managed at all. I haven't confirmed this but I believe that to be the issue. In any case, you should always ignore color on the Epson driver print preview: only use it to determine things like cropping and pick up errors like partial prints, etc.

In "no color adjustment" mode, most Epson printers print too dark and with a heavy green cast. The profile is designed to compensate for this so it will send data to the driver that is lightened up and magenta shifted to compensate. The driver is simply displaying the raw data after the profiling which is why you see the magenta shift. I don't believe the driver has any way to color manage the incoming data so looking at the raw data coming into the driver is the problem.

Mike
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote